New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 4895 temp sensitive in 22-250 Rem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can you guys give me some opinions on using IMR4895 in a 22-250 Rem? I'm currently using H380 and it seems to be a little temp sensitive. I had it shooting .4's at 40 degrees and at 70 degress it's shooting high and opens to about 1.25". How does the 4895 do in this category? I notice that allot of guys use it. Is accuracy just as good? I know it depends on the gun, but what have your experiences been? Any of you using the 50gr V-Max over this powder?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never used H380. A ball powder?
As a general rule stick powders like 4895 are less temperature sensitive than ball powders. Rumer has it that IMR4895 is a little more temp sensitive than H4895 and H4895 is a little more temp sensitive than Varget. I would try all 3 if I had the time.
If you don't want to leave an orphan batch of powder, measure the velocity when it was shooting good. Then when it gets warm work up another load that duplicates the velocity of the cold weather load. If I were you I would start by cutting a full grain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon advertises their EXTREME powders as being much less temp sensitive. Varget is one of the EP's. Not sure of the others.

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
jethro,
All of Hodgdons extruded powders are the "Extreme Powders". These powders are not temperature sensitive. The IMR powders, even if they have the same numerical designation, are NOT part of this technology. None of the Hodgdon ball powders are of this technology. When Varget first came out, I was very sceptical about this. At the time I was loading my daughters 7mm-08 with Varget. I chronographed its load over three winters and two summers. While New Mexico doesn't have the temperatures extremes used in the reported Hodgdon test, my test ran from the high teens to about a hundred. The averarge deviation I experienced from hot to cold temperatures was just under 20 fps. Since then I've switched all my loads to various Hodgdon extruded powders. I'm using Varget in my Rem M-700 VLS .22-250. I use the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips bullets and CCI #BR2 primers. Accuracy, velocities and extreme velocity spread are all excellent. If you are looking for a new load, I'd sure suggest this powder and primer combination I hope that this is of some help. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
If you're after insensitive powder, I'd go with one of the Hodgdon Extremes. The two varieties I've tested, H4350 (30-06 and 270) and H4895 (308 and 358), have shown little concern for temps. I didn't go to the extremes that BigBob did, but, between 55 - 60 degrees and 20 windy degrees, average velocity variation was only 10 - 15 FPS.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
R-WEST,
I've got to be honest. The reason I ran the test on Varget was because I flat didn't believe the Hodgdon claims. Never before had I seen powders act this way. I keep a logbook on each rifle I load for. Once the load was selected, additional chronographing of ammo was no big deal. It's kind of funny. I made the test, an still have trouble accepting the results. I remember a caribou hunt I made when I lived in Alaska. The hunt took place west of Sheep Mountain Lodge just after Christmas. I had a shot at a pretty good bull, and couldn't hit it too save my soul. The fifty degress below zero temperatures affected the IMR-4350 loads so much I had to rezero the rifle on the spot. Of course every time I tell the story about missing that bull, he seems to get bigger. He's grown so much, he had to have been on super vitamins. Good luck. [Big Grin]