New
Find
Notify
Tools

resizing NEW brass??????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you REALLY NEED to full length resize new brass? I have heard yes, and no?? 300RUM brand new Remington brass........ Shouldn't it come from Remington already the right size? With the mouth already tensioned and all?? I have measured all of them, and no trimming is required, just want to save the hassle of FL resizing a thousand cases..........
thx
jordan

You only live ONCE!!!!!!!!!! So LIVE it UP!!!!!!!!

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how anal you are. Since all of your cartridge values change once they have been fired, I only bump the resizing ball thru each neck to make sure they're round and then load 'em up and shoot 'em. If you're using boat tail bullets, I doubt that you even need to do that unless a neck is really out of round.
Then I trim to length, etc, etc. This also negates the need for deburring the inside of the flash hole that so many folks angst about.
Range pick up or 1x brass that isn't from your rifle needs to be F/L resized b4 its first firing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why anyone would want to do so.When I first read about it here on AR,it took me a while to understand what they were talking about.I shoot my new cases as they are and could not imagine any benefit from necksizing beforehand.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I resize new brass to round up the case mouths beat up in handling and shipping. It actualy doesn't resize the case to speak of. If the case mouths are round, I load them up.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys........that is what I was thinking too........but, I asked the same question a month ago about NEW .44MAG brass, and the general consensus was definitely to resize first.....so, I'm glad I asked again.........

No resizing for me then, as long as they will chamber in the rifle with no issues out of the box before I put powder in them......I'll check that first obviously......

thx
Jordan

You only live ONCE!!!!!!!!!! So LIVE it UP!!!!!!!!

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that neck sizing is a must for new brass. Necks on many new cases are all banged up, so sizing necks only is required.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I think that neck sizing is a must for new brass. Necks on many new cases are all banged up, so sizing necks only is required.

Agree, and I always trim to length. Factory u/p brass seems to be very inconsistent in that regard.

Sometimes the trimmer just spins, other times it cuts a lot of neck length.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I only fl size after firing max loads,if using light loads i neck size only as long as it will fit in chamber,all of my hunting loads get chambered before i use for hunting.

Posts: 38 | Location: seattle,wa | Registered: 29 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captjordan:
Thanks guys........that is what I was thinking too........but, I asked the same question a month ago about NEW .44MAG brass, and the general consensus was definitely to resize first.....so, I'm glad I asked again.........

No resizing for me then, as long as they will chamber in the rifle with no issues out of the box before I put powder in them......I'll check that first obviously......

thx
Jordan

I found that bulk straight wall pistol brass can need sizing to get good neck tension. I loaded about 50 new 500 Linebaugh cases a few months ago and crimped very hard. Still, the necks were loose and the W296 just didn't want to light off. I had to pull the remaining 30 or so and start all over. I can't recall the same issue wth rifle brass; just out of round mouths.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love a lyman "m" die....plunge the brass over it just to get the mouth diameter consistant.....chamfer the mouth and load....AFTER THE FIRST FIRING...is where I start my more careful case prep.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS resize new brass, trim and chamfer the mouths. The resizing operation doesn't take long and then you're assured it's gonna chamber. I think it's silly not to.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hit new rifle brass with a collet neck sizer, but thats all. I wait for all the other prep until after initial firing.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Link to Bart Bobbit 1994 post about new brass

Bart was a long time competitor at Camp Pendleton.
He is a great one for posting his accuracy technique quantifications.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael.tx:
I hit new rifle brass with a collet neck sizer, but thats all. I wait for all the other prep until after initial firing.

Same here.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'm buying Nosler Brass now and it comes very well sized with a drilled and chamfered primer pocket and neck, weights are less than .5 gn different across 50 cases. I look at it this way: The first firing is to fireform anyway. why work the case if it fits? In magazine guns, cases get crimped so neck tension is not an issue. If the Case fits, no need to FL resize

My $0.02

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I also reround the neck,check length and trim if needed, then chamfer, load and shoot

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you REALLY NEED to full length resize new brass? I have heard yes, and no??

Why do that? It would only assure that the necks and shoulders are consistant. Wink

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I start with new brass I make sure the neck is round by champhering inside and out, load and fire. After the first firing I full length resize, measure and trim if necessary, load and shoot. Normaly I get two or three firings before trimming. Been doing it this way for years and shoot 3000 plus or minus rounds per year with chamberings from .243 to 50 BMG. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote