Find
Notify
Tools

Arbor presses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted
I'm trying to learn something about Arbor presses. I spend my winters in AZ in a fifth wheel trailer and can't easily take my reloading equipment with me from home. I'm considering an Arbor press and hand dies. I found what looks like a pretty good one in the 2015 Sinclair catalog, but when I called for info I got Brownell, who apparently bought Sinclair. I asked the guy on the phone about Arbor presses, but he had no idea as to how they work. Can someone point me in the right direction? What about dies? Wilson makes hand dies but again, I'm not sure how they work.

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 74 | Location: Somewhere between South Dakota and Arizona | Registered: 01 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bench rest shooters use arbor presses. Why not just get a Lee Loader? No need for a press, use a plastic hammer. Or they used to make a hand operated press that did not mount on anything.
Arbor presses operate via a rack gear system instead of a compound linkage like regular presses. The dies do not mount in the press; From Reloading Solutions Site; The Arbor Press was designed specifically for use with hand dies, both in the field and on your workbench. It does not need to be clamped down for use. This arbor press features quality construction throughout and fits easily into your reloading box for trips to the range. Constructed with a solid stainless steel post and featuring a stainless steel rack and pinion design, the Sinclair arbor press functions flawlessly with all neck sizing and bullet seating hand dies. Ratchet style height adjustment knob allows easy raising and lowering of the press head position. This press is not intended for use with full length resizing dies

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look at the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press; it is a real link press that does not mount on a bench and uses regular dies. Midway; $35.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The set up I use in my house uses camper table legs. It can be taken down and stored. I redid the top with 2 pieces of plywood glued together for strength after I broke the to in pic trying the size some brass for a wildcat.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Look at the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press; it is a real link press that does not mount on a bench and uses regular dies. Midway; $35.

So I guess you screw the die into the top of the press. Doesn't seem that you could exert enough pressure to resize the case, but it must work. I have some arthritis in my hands (I'm an old guy) and I wonder if I could operate the hand press without much discomfort? It does seem like the most compact and econical way to go.

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 74 | Location: Somewhere between South Dakota and Arizona | Registered: 01 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Brownells bought out Sinclair but they haven't combined all operations as yet. Although both companies had knowledgeable staff in the past they seen to be heading toward headset order takers. Too bad.

Hand dies and arbor presses will do what you need but are expensive and slow; but VERY precise. Like a lot of things, you pays your money and takes your choice. Enjoy and good luck.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compact and lightweight and they work:

http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Compact and lightweight and they work:

http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

Can I use RCBS dies in the hand press?

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it uses any standard reloading dies. That press in the link is a standard bench mounted press, I have a couple of them. I think they used to give them away or something, So, this is the way to go if you want a bench/table mounted press. If you can't compress that hand job one, then you might need to mount this one. They both have the same amount of leverage; just the hand one is not mounted to anything; use two hands, or push against the table. The mounted one would be more convenient if you can find a way to mount it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would use a Lee Loader. Whilst in HS, in the 60s, I loaded 3000 rounds on two of them, yes I counted them. Still have the 30-30 one.

One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sir. I believe you have solved my problem. I'll get the Lee. They are certainly cheap enough.

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Good choice on the Lee handpress.

I load 416 Rigby with them, and 500AccRelNyati, no problem.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sinclair arbor press is kind of lightweight, but great for its intended purpose. Mr. Sinclair told me directly that his arbor press is intended for neck sizing operations only, that they weren't suitable for full length re-sizing in many instances.

I use an old small but rugged arbor press for when using my selection of Wilson straight line dies. Slow? You bet. Precise? You bet. A replacement for general reloading? Nope, but just the ticket when ultimate accuracy is wanted.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GNOAHHH is right. I tried to use a set of Wilson full length .270 dies in a Sinclair press to full length re-size.

Gave up when I quickly realised that the only thing that was going to get re-sized was likely to be my wallet when I broke the press.

So I stopped before I passed that point in the process! I bought a industrial arbour press for equivalent USD 30 from a closing down factory.

Pops 'em in and out a treat. No effort at all. If you want to full length re-szie that's the way to go.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are also target models of the Lee Loader; I have one for 7 mm magnum that just neck sizes the cases.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14621 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote