Find
Notify
Tools

Dimples in shoulders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted
Full length sized some .260 Rem casings and noticed I was getting dimples in the shoulder. Thought maybe it was too much lube or a dirty die. Cleaned the die and using very little lube. I'm still getting these dimples.

Any thoughts or solutions????

posted Hide Post
Try backing your die out a quarter turn or more. Your probably just bumping the shoulder a little to hard.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You say you`ve cleaned your die, are you lubeing the outside of the neck and shoulder area of your cases? If so that is your problem. The only place you need lube is the die body and a VERY LITTLE dab inside the mouth if your expander is dragging. Lubeing the shoulder or neck almost always causes dents in the cases.

One other thing to check, I almost forgot. RCBS and I believe I`ve seen it on other dies, have a air vent on the threaded section up where the neck/shoulder would be. I had a die that had old packaging grease dried in this vent and the air pressure was causing the shoulder to dent. I ran a pin in the hole clearing it out and the denting went away. I don`t know if this is a common problem but you might cheack it anyway.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
The only time I have gotten those is when I was using too much lube. One some of my dies the tolerances are really tight and an almost unoticeable difference in lube will give me the compression dents.

You loading rounds for your upcoming trip?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With this rather straight case you have to keep the lube to a minimum. I had a 7mm08 FL sizer by RCBS that was very bad about this. Even though I cleaned out the vent hole with with a needle and compressed air it persisted in denting the shoulder unless zero lube was used on the shoulder and neck. The only thing I could think of was the vent hole was in the wrong place since it was right on the bottom corner of the shoulder and the case and die shoulder angles did not match.
In contrast I have used RCBS, Lyman, Bair and Redding dies in .243 with no trouble. Redding dies do not even have the vent hole. I have Redding dies in numerous other calibers and have never had that problem. I have formed many hundreds of 30-06 cases into 8X57 and 7.65 Mauser with out this happening.

I have dozens of other RCBS sizers that do not do this unless you were to use way too much lube.

Same goes for lesser numbers of Redding, CH, Lyman, Bair, Eagle, Bonanza, Forster, Lee, Herters, & Pacific,

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
...I had a 7mm08 FL sizer by RCBS that was very bad about this. Even though I cleaned out the vent hole with with a needle and compressed air it persisted in denting the shoulder unless zero lube was used on the shoulder and neck....

Very same problem with a FL 300 Win. Mag. RCBS sizer; I must wipe the neck/shoulder of every case, to remove the lubricant to avoid dimples; otherwise it works just fine.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 303 british RCBS FL and Neck sizing die do it too, but only when you use lots of lube. having clean cases before you run them through the die helps because you can get away with only lubing every 2nd or 3rd one.

my redding dies dont do it and they dont have a air vent/ lube overflow hole.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
I am using a Redding die so vent hole is not the problem. I'm lubing with Imperial sizing wax and being careful to keep it off the shoulder. Gonna try wiping each neck and shoulder prior to sizing and see what happens.

Sniper, yes I'm loading for my trip. Going to use the .260 Remington 125 gr Nosler partitions for Warthog, Springbuc, Baboon and Jackel. Everything else will get a dose of 180gr North Forks out of the 300 Win Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't wipe shoulder/neck too deeply; try to let a small amount of lubricant anyway.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote