THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The famous most accurate 308 load (Handloader?)
 Login/Join

posted
A few years ago there was an exhaustive article in Handloader or Rifle by a guy attempting to duplicate Federal Gold Medal Match 308 performance. Not owning a 308 at the time I passed the magazine along. The guy tried a ton of components and loads in a rifle that (as I recall was a 1/2 MOA rifle with Federal GMM).
Again I think the load involved Berger bullets, CCI 250s, Varget and unknown brass.
Hope somebody might have the data as I now have bought a Marlin XLVH in 308. Both my other "sporting Xs" (7mm08 and 270) are sub MOA rifles after fixing the sloppy foreend with threaded rod, glass bedding, free floating and replacing the Nylon trigger guards with Remington ADL metal ones. Believe the heavier, longer VH barrel could be a fly swatter.
Thanks for any help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can (probably) find the article on your smart phone/computer. I've found Handloader articles that way.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Please post it if found. In craigsters link, I didn't get the page with the load.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36893 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
This was published a couple of years ago :

Federal Gold Medal Match
Projectile: .308 168gr Sierra Match King HPBT
Case: Federal Gold Medal Match
Primer: Federal Gold Medal Match 210
Powder: IMR-4064 (42gr)
COL: 2.800"
MV: 2650fps

M852 Match (Military Version)
Projectile: .308 168gr Sierra Match King HPBT
Case: Lake City Match
Primer: Federal Match
Powder: IMR-4895 (42gr)
COL: 2.800" ----- Manual says 2.830" in bullet diagram
MV: 2550fps

MK316 Mod 0
Projectile: .308 175gr Sierra Match King HPBT
Case: Federal Gold Medal Match
Primer: Federal Gold Medal Match 210
Powder: IMR-4064 (41.8gr)
COL: 2.800"
MV: 2600fps*

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If your going to work up some accurate loads try H380 168gr
at about 2600 f/s I have 4- 308 rifles and they all shoot 5 shot groups under 1/2"
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also find accurate 308W loads on 6mmbr.com. Go to the 308 page and there is a good write up and then a page of loads being used by many of the successful accuracy guys.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have all of the Handloader magazines on disc from the first issue through December 2012. 40 years worth.

I won the set at an SCI convention.

If you know EXACTLY what issue, or even the year, I can search for it and try to send it to you.

This set supposedly has an index, but although several people have tried, we unfortunately cannot seem to get the index to load or open.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1969 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
To whom it may concern, my personal .308 precision load consists of 168 SMK / N 140 / 41.5 (5 in 0,4 cm / .14 MOA at 100 meters).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
To whom it may concern, my personal .308 precision load consists of 168 SMK / N 140 / 41.5 (5 in 0,4 cm / .14 MOA at 100 meters).

One hundred meter one hole groups are not a good way of indicating a good 308 load since factory hunting ammo is very capable of this-not just in 308.A five shot one hole group at 200m and beyond is a more valid argument and yes N140 and a 168grs match bullet is capable of this.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Gee Andre, just tease me. Now I have go work on my loads.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One hundred meter one hole groups are not a good way of indicating a good 308 load since factory hunting ammo is very capable of this-not just in 308.A five shot one hole group at 200m and beyond is a more valid argument and yes N140 and a 168grs match bullet is capable of this.

Give me a frigging break. Why don't you post all those factory ammo one hole groups at 100 yds you've shot? Perfectly capable.....horse manure.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato--One hole groups are easy with a keyboard. When I go to the range, I don't see people bringing their one hole targets back. When I staple my target over the one that they left--they weren't one holers. Perhaps your keyboard needs tweaking.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on Gato. We know the only one whole group shootaway has is when he only took one shot. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we can get back on the subject rather than playing "mine is bigger than yours" ?

It was not a list of loads, well it was, but one and only one was the winner. As I said Varget, CCI 250s and Bergers.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:

Very nice. I'll have to see if I have some N 140 laying around.

Were there any scope adjustments between the groups?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I can't remember. Rifle/rest relationship might have influenced group location. No wind involved though, since the 100 m shooting range is underground.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years ago there was an exhaustive article in Handloader or Rifle by a guy attempting to duplicate Federal Gold Medal Match 308 performance. Not owning a 308 at the time I passed the magazine along. The guy tried a ton of components and loads in a rifle that (as I recall was a 1/2 MOA rifle with Federal GMM).
Again I think the load involved Berger bullets, CCI 250s, Varget and unknown brass.
Hope somebody might have the data as I now have bought a Marlin XLVH in 308. Both my other "sporting Xs" (7mm08 and 270) are sub MOA rifles after fixing the sloppy foreend with threaded rod, glass bedding, free floating and replacing the Nylon trigger guards with Remington ADL metal ones. Believe the heavier, longer VH barrel could be a fly swatter.
Thanks for any help.

Dec 2008 Developing and Accurate 308 load by Gary Scuichetti

His most accurate load was a 168 Berger, 45.0 grains Varget, Nosler cases, CCI 250 primer.

posted Hide Post
Thanks do much ! Written down and posted on the wall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because one 308 or any other caliber shoots a one holer with a certain does not mean it will do the same in another rifle...accurate barrels are the heart of accuracy and make a rifle shoot tiny groups more so than anything else IMO.

However, I'm a hunter and a one inch 3 shot group is my goal, as that's the size of a buffalos eye! and I never shoot more than 3 times and seldom more than once. Why one inch? I have no idea, it just always been my criteria, knowing that a two inch group is sufficient.

A target shooter should strive for the silly millimeters for sure inasmuch as a millimeter or even a tad can cost you a turkey or even a ham. Wink

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
WE do get many one hole 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

But, the size of the hole varies quite a lot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67582 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote