New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 180 gr. Protected Point
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am sure that this particular bullet is not very popular having such a low BC and blunt lead nose, but they seem to be very accurate from my .300 Win., Mod. 70. I can load them to an OAL of 3.340" and be shy of the lands by .010". Is this bullet acceptable for all hunting that a .300 Win. is suited for ?
Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Jim, in Nosler's #5 (and maybe 6) reloading manual, they have a notation that the 180 grain protected point was made expressly for the .300 Win mag. In particular, it was designed to be a "shorter" bullet.

I don't have any experience with the cartridge or the bullet, but remember quite clearly this section in their reloading manual.

Someone else will be able to comment better on the specifics of the bullet/cartridge combination.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Win Mag has a very short neck. Because of this when certain bullets are loaded to the specified COAL, the ogive is inside the neck, and there's no tension to hold the bullet. Anything that needs killing with a .30 cal ought to get plenty dead with one of these properly placed. Blast away!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PP is my favourite bullet for the 300 WM and it's known to give very good accuracy; according to my ballistic calculator, the difference in trajectory at 300 meters should be less than 1 inch, compared to a regular partition, certainly negligible since I never shoot farther than 300 meters. The flat point doesn't batter in the magazine and probably gives more knock-down power.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I bought up 400 of them two years ago. They were factory seconds at Shooters Pro Shop. Got them half off.

My 300 Weatherby doesn't know the difference between the PP's and regular Partitions.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. The bullet shoots so well that I am going to use it as a all-around bullet. I think that it will be fine to 400 yds. with plenty of practice with the TDS reticle.
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Back in 1983, I place four of them into a very large 6-pt Montana Elk @ 100 yds. Muzzle vel 2700 fps from my 30-06. First one broke both shoulders and balled up classic Partition style under the far hide. Second and 3rd sailed through the lungs. Fourth raked up through the left rear paunch, vitals and finally stopped under the hide on the right brisket, again classic Partition mushroom. They work great. The elk nor I knew he was dead on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th shot. I just kept shooting until I saw signs of a vital hit as I thought I was missing, shooting off hand.

You can trust these bullets to work very well.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 75.5 gr of RL-22 these will group as well as any bullet of the same weight in my 300 win. Everything I have evr shot with them, got to bein' dead real quick

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote