New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady dies for 454Casull
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see there are different sets for the 454 and the 45 Long Colt. Shouldn't it be possible to use 454 Casull dies for both callibers like its fine to use the 357 dies for 38 special?

Thomas ...450 Rigby...

Posts: 240 | Location: Finland | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I do just the opposite. I use my 45 Colt dies for my 454. I just include a 1/10" (2.5mm)spacer under the locking ring when I reload the 454's. I think you can use the shorter caliber die (45Colt or 38) spc for the longer caliber (454 or 357), but not the other way around.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
I think you can use the shorter caliber die (45Colt or 38) spc for the longer caliber (454 or 357), but not the other way around.

Thanks 4x4.
This was the opposite from what I believed. Can anybody confirm this?

Thomas ...450 Rigby...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the hornady 454 set for 45 colt, and it works great. The part numbers for the seater and expander are identical between 45 colt and 454 casull, but the sizing die p/n is different. If you use the 45 sizer on 454, it may not allow sizing down to the base.

When I bought mine at cabellas, I noticed the 454 die set was a 4 die set (included the taper crimp die) for the same price as all the other hornady pistol die sets that were 3 die sets (including 45 colt). Note that neither Hornady's nor Cabellas websites mention this, but the part number on the hornady 454 set I have (which is labeled as 4 die set) matches the part number on Hornady's website, but no mention of it including the taper crimp die.

I've also heard that some folks complained to hornady that their 45 colt dies did not resize tight enough for decent neck tension on lead bullets, so Hornady sent them 454 dies, and they worked.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
It seems I should go for the 454 dies then.

Thomas ...450 Rigby...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 45 colt dies to reload both the colt and .454 I back the seating die out 1 1/4 turns to seat and crimp the .454 have had no problems. I am using a set of old RCBS dies.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote