Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading at the Range
 Login/Join

posted
I'm thinking of buying a portable loading press for range use only. Maybe a Lee hand press or a standard any brand "O" press. I'm trying to save time and trips to the range by reloading the fired empties when doing load development. Looking at possibly loading no more than 20 rounds per session. Any range loaders here? If so, please comment on your experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't do the whole reloading process at the shooting bench. But I often seat my rifle bullets long then use Lee's hand press at the range when I'm working up a load. In fact, that's the only thing I use the hand press for.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing it for some time now with great success.

It's no fun and a waste of components to load a bunch of rounds at different charge weights, seat the bullets, then go to the range to shoot and find out most of the groups suck. You end up pulling bullets and dumping powder back in the jug. Then you have to resize the necks. The bullets you pulled aren't worth anything but for foulers or some plinking....

When I work up a brand new load, I load an Audette's Ladder at .030" off the lands up to or a touch over the published max for the powder and go shoot it. If I find an accuracy node, I load in the middle of the node chargewise and seat the bullets at Max OAL. I go to the range with my press and seating die and do a depth test. I may shoot the loads on the lands first, then seat .010" down until I get a good group. I can now seat all of the Max length rounds to that depth.

If you want to just test charge weight and shoot groups, measure powder into a bunch of cases in your loading block in .5 grain increments, 3 shells at each charge working up to max from the start load. Do not seat any bullets! Take your press, calipers, seating dies and scale to the range and seat 3 at a time and shoot a group. If you find a set that groups well when working up, trickle a little out of a charged case you may not use to match the ones that group, load and shoot. If they group too, you're probably done.

Now you may have some cases that still have powder, but at least you don't have to pull bullets! Heck, if you are a shooter, you may only have to load 2 of each. If the second isn't anywhere close to the first shot, there's no need to load another!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a hand press for exactly that reason. Soon found it was a royal PITA to load at the range, I needed a third hand to work with bullet seating. I now load everything at home again, only use the hand press to work with seating depth testing, I load 'em long at home and seat deeper as I wixh.

On the other hand, I recently got a little Lee "Reloader" press and mounted it on a short board I can C clamp to the shooting bench. I'm gonna take a batch of primed cases to the range and try working on charges there again.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it sure makes me glad I can load, step out the door, open a window etc and shoot. I dont know if I could stand having to drive somewhere to shoot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Damn it sure makes me glad I can load, step out the door, open a window etc and shoot. I dont know if I could stand having to drive somewhere to shoot!

Once you've enjoyed that pleasure, as I did in WV, it's a royal pita to drive 25miles, as I do now. And the range where I shoot has no facilities so's there's no stepping into the air conditioning for a break and a glass of sweet tea. Frowner

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS partner and a C-clamp vice grip. I size and prime all the cases so I only have to charge and seat at the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add that I have my presses mounted to a portable little B&D Workmate type bench. I use it that way in my reloading room (garage) and it's simple to throw in the back of the truck.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Me too, back40!!! Although way in the past I had a setup I could clamp to the bench with folding walls so the wind didn't cause a problem with the weigh scale made out of a milk crate...an small Herters press or Lyman nutcracker...kinda dates me doesn't it.

All the cases were prepped and primered at home. Sometimes I weighed the powder charges and put it in small vials I got from the pharmacy, other times I put the cases in a loading block, charged them with powder, put the block in a cardboard box I found that just fit and covered the cases with a piece of 1/4 Plywood with foam rubber on top of that rubber banded.

I used a wheelbarrow I modified...added a second wheel...should have patented that idea...carried the milk crate and my Oehler 33 chrono and set up on the far end of the range. Worked pretty well.

Now you should see some of the fancy rigs at various meets...totally rad.

Now I just step outside to my 130 yd range and go bang...load up more while the barrel is cooling. I do have to drive about 5 miles to my 1000-1600 yd range tho'...bummer. Frowner Big Grin dancing

That Workmate bench works as a reasonable benchrest also in the bed of my Nissan 4x4...until the wind gets to wiggling the works...or setup on the ground. I fixed up a mount for my front benchrest with an additional 4" of height that clamps in the Workmate and gets it up high enough so I don't have to scrunch over.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
cooling. I do have to drive about 5 miles to my 1000-1600 yd range tho'...bummer.

I know what you mean Foobar, I have to walk 100 ft around the toolshop to shoot up to 1 mile, pain in the arse, should move the house.
I shoot something, rifle, shotgun or handgun at least 300 days a year. There is always starlings, pigeons and blackbirds to pick off, along with other varmints and reg hunting season. Then there's loads to test, clays to shoot etc, .... and I can take a piss where and when I want too!!

posted Hide Post
That's a great idea prepping all the cases at home. But it sounds like the Lee Handloader is a PITA to use when seating bullets.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I live in the middle of the piney woods so the closest area with that length of open area other than the fields is 5 miles up a canyon in a clear cut...

I shoot rats in most of the fields around me, with small cals and airguns, but I haven't been able to talk any rancher into letting me set up a long range closer by. There is usually too much stock and human activity around during the calving/ratting season, so it's a PITA to even go after the rats sometimes, and the ranchers kids and grandkids need something to shoot at.

I only get a few FNG dumb starlings now and then, the ones that got away, STAY away and no pigeons yet. I leave the birds alone for the most part as they keep the bug population down, the magpies and crows keep the dead things cleaned up...mosquitos and West Nile Fever and mashed rats are rampant some times of the year.

I put up some bat boxes and have a nice population of bats flying around in the evening...these bats are smart...they follow my dog around the grass while she is mousing and get free meals. I've seen what seems like a dozen critters flying all around her...she even catches one once in a while...I should film it. lol

Luck

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics go give you an idea.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee hand press, it takes a little practice but works pretty good. I also size and prime my cases at home and just charge and seat at the range. I use an electronic scale with a folding wind guard made out of plexiglass. Has cut my trips to range down a little, all my stuff fits in an easy to carry tool box.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...these bats are smart...they follow my dog around the grass while she is mousing and get free meals. I've seen what seems like a dozen critters flying all around her...she even catches one once in a while...I should film it.

I love stories like that, so interesting! thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
BaCK 40...Nature is amazing...I've seen things that no one would/will believe could ever happen...you just have to keep your eyes AND mind open to all possibilities.

Alan...now that is a VERY nice setup. tu2 I like that hi-dollar powder measure and the "cheep" press...I've seen the opposite more often that not...never seemed to compute in my mind. bewildered That is a clean setup...where's the coffe jug? lol

I bent some welding rod into a folding "leg/bar" to mounted it on my Oehler 33 so it would stand up. Then used two pieces of 25.5" x half inch conduit with a hole drilled in one end for a 1/4" rod/thumbscrew I thread into the sky screens from the bottom on 48" centers, then made a "pipe" connector with thumb screws and two more holes at 90° to clamp the pieces together with a 1/4" threaded hole to screw my camera tripod into...now I can break down the pieces and stuff the whole shebang into a 28" piece of 4" PCV pipe and sling it over my shoulder to cart around. Much easier to set up and carry.

I also loop the wires about 8" and push the loops into a 5" piece of 2" PCV so I don't have to deal with a wire mess.

Nowdays I leave the 33 and skyscreems setup under a tent made of 1/2" PCV frame and plastic tarp...once the weather turns warm. I have my Beta mounted on a camera tripod also, easy to move around, and just set that up behind the 33 when I want to take two readings at a time. The two usually run about 100fs difference in readings and what one misses the other catches...the Beta is a bit balky sometimes.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
Alan...now that is a VERY nice setup. tu2 I like that hi-dollar powder measure and the "cheep" press...I've seen the opposite more often that not...never seemed to compute in my mind. bewildered That is a clean setup...where's the coffe jug? lol

Nowdays I leave the 33 and skyscreems setup under a tent made of 1/2" PCV frame and plastic tarp...once the weather turns warm. I have my Beta mounted on a camera tripod also, easy to move around, and just set that up behind the 33 when I want to take two readings at a time. The two usually run about 100fs difference in readings and what one misses the other catches...the Beta is a bit balky sometimes.

Luck

Hey Foo,

LOL, the coffee pot is plugged in over at the truck, perking away dancing

Yeah, I gave up on the little Lee. Not because it couldn't do the job but because I was loading up extremely compressed loads of Rel 25, 180 BT in my 30-06 AI. I think the press flexed too much and I could never get consistent seating depth. Turned around and now use the RCBS Partner for such duties. The little Lee is now used for bullet pulling duties.

Alas, my M33 is no more CRYBABY It took a 357 slug in the gut hilbily Now my new M35P is happily taking it's place. jumping Oehler, REALLY knows how to make a great chronograph! tu2

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to load at the range, but don't want to take a scale:

Load up all your cases with all your various charge weights at home, but don't seat the bullets (except for the first group you plan to shoot). Mark each charge weight on the side of the case with a Sharpie and tape over the case mouths. All you need to do at the range is seat bullets. Gives you plenty of options and no bullets to pull from cartridges you don't end up shooting.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote