Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading with Win 846 powder
 Login/Join

posted
I've been given some win 846 powder by a very knowledgable reloader. He says that it is very similar to H Blc 2, but upon searching all of my manuals, and every place I can find online, I find no mention of it. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this powder or experience with it?

Posts: 2 | Location: puget sound | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
WC 846 IS military bulk. do a search onthis site there was some info and links .
I have been using this powder for a few months and from my test loads is was hotter than BLC2
my lot was more like H335.
At any rate if you use the load dada for BLC2 start at 15% lower and work up.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get your 846 from? I got mine from Wideners, haven't loaded any yet.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I picked mine up at a gun show from a dealer.
PrimeReloading, Wattsburg, Pa.
primereloading.com

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 748, WC 846, and BL-C2 are all the same basic spec powder.

As with any powder, the performance will vary from lot to lot (and the commercial distributors tend to control this a bit more closely than for the powders on the surplus market).

It is quite possible that Hivelosity's lot of WC 846 is notably faster than most BL-C2, due to lot-to-lot variations. It is also possible that it is a mislabelled lot of the very similar WC 844, which is the same spec at H335. At any rate, his advice to start on the conservative side with a surplus powder is very good advice. You can always work up, but may not have the "luxury" of working down after a disasterous overload.

I've had excellent results from surplus powders, but treat any new batch of surplus powder with caution until you have adequately determined its performance parameters.

[ 03-27-2003, 20:09: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Stonecreek says. Different lots of milsurp stuff can really vary. My latest batch of 846 runs about even with my last lot of H335.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a URL that you might find of value.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hi-techammo.com/
http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm
Here are 2 more links to surplus powders. I have a jug of wc852 on order through a local shop that is soon to carry a selection of milsurp powder.
Let us know how you do with the wc846.
Rick [Cool]

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the information guys. You people sure know your stuff. This has been very helpful fishhawk

Posts: 2 | Location: puget sound | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote