New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best case trimmer for .223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think is the best case trimmer for high production .223 reloading?

Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon power case trimmer. I've got mine set up for my Dillon 650 on its own die plate. I use a universal decaping die on the station #1 and trimer on station #4. I use Hornady One Shot or you can also use a RCBS Lube die on station #1.

Posts: 59 | Location: Soledad, CA USA | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracey.I use it for both my 308 and 223.It trims and deburrs all in one step. It's like a giant electric pencil sharpener
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can also recommend the Gracey. I use one for my high-power reloading, again for .308 and .223. The Giraud is probably even better than the Gracey. The Giraud's motor is stronger, and spins the brass a lot faster. That makes for a smoother cut. Which ever unit you get, be sure and use a carbide blade.

The Giraud unit is $365.00:
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16406

The Gracey is $227.00:
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16412&cat=359&page=1

Sorry we couldn't hang around Salt Lake through today. Lois is buried in her planning and zoning case, and I am supposed to be reviewing charts (fat chance). We got home at 01:00.
We found the range by the quarry just before we left town.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendations.

Is the Giraud unit easier to use than the Gracey? Faster? More precise?

Lawndart, things happen; we'll just have to linkup next time. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with 3 trimmers. Two are good but, one is junk. Lyman conventional [yellow/orange] trimmers are excellent. The Lyman Accutrom is junk because I could not keep it adjusted for length.
Forester is excellent. Lee's hand trimmer is excellent.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee hand trimmer in a cordless drill chuck. Very fast, cant over trim and you can deburr fast as well. I use this setup for .223, .308 & 30.06. (also very cheap)

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Giraud is faster and easier to use. You can use it horizontally or vertically. In the vertical position the chips fall down and away from the cutter head.

lawndart

Edited for screwing up the grammar.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerUnless you want the name of Dillon or some other fine but expensive piece of equipment, use the lee hand trimmer. I have found it works real good and keeps me within my limited budget. I have found some fancy trimmers will cut more on side than the other especially with to much pressure. Eeker

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracey for me.

Lee and Forster also work pretty well but are tedious for large batches of brass.

The Gracey rocks !
Gonna get some carbide blades from Giraud for the gracey though, serious usage dulls the hardened steel cutters that come with the unit.

I have never used a Giraud to compare it to the Gracey.

Travis F.