New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primers needed for 223 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Using win.748 powder for 50gr & 55gr bullets in the 223.
Switched from Rem cases to Win. and I find I have to really mash on the rem 7 1/2 primers to get them in the Win. cases.
Thinking of trying the Win wsr primers but noticed several of the reloading manuals use a magnum primer with this powder. Anyone done any experimenting with this powder and different primers, or have any information they can share? Thanks in advance. Gary

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 748 for about 10 yrs in 223 mainly because it
works well in progressive press powder drops i don't
use mag primers I've never seen the need I use my loads in
extremely cold weather no problems

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've fired literally thousands of rounds of .223 with standard primers.....I use ball powders as well.....BL-C2 mostly but H335 and W748 as well.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I always used Rem #7-1/2 benchrest primers with 748 with great results. It also lets me know instantly if the GI brass I use has had the primer pocket reamed,the primers are copper colored, saves time at the bench!

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pack of magnum primers will set you back less than 2 dollars. You can certainly give them a try, but they're NOT needed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use Rem 7 1/2 primers in my 223 load with W748. Never a problem. Use mostly Federal and Winchester brass.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doen't hurt to try. I use magnum primers with some powders in my 35 Rem Contender. The groups got better, I guess because of better ignition.
One thing though -- if you're using hot loads, back off 10%and work up again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you asked that question. I had an incident that has me puzzled. To start with,my rifle is a Win mod 70 and in good shape. I had just gotten the Bushnell scope back from the factory repair center for the second time(another post)and installed it. Went to the range and sighted it in and then fired at several practice targets. Had one one -hole group and did not know which of two powders created it. I know,should have been keeping close record,but I was just shooting at that point. Getting scope on paper was the goal and I had done that. So I looked in my Lyman 47th edition and it listed a max of 30.0 grains of 748 with a 55 grain jacketed bullet. It also listed the presuure of only 43,400--a very low pressure. On the other page it did call for small rifle magnum primers--and I missed that part. 30.0 grains would not even go in some cases--had to work at it to get it in there. It was listed as a compressed load. Based on the listed low pressure and their max not even fitting,I figured it was a situation where over charge not possible. About the 6th shot my rifle locked up. Accuracy had not been good,but no signs of pressure. The rifle was really locked so I took it to my gunsmith. He had to remove the barrel to get case out. The primer pocket was blown out of shape. His theory was it was caused from not using magnum primers. I have a hard time buying that as there was no unburned powder??? I did not cross reference this load before hand because the listed pressure was so low,didnt thik there was a need. After the fact,I did cross reference and found Hornady lists a max of 27.7 grains and it does not call for magnum primers. Sierra lists a max of 26.7 it does list Remington 7 1/2 primer(which is magnum). I don't know,but I now use magnum primers.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I believe the Rem 7 1/2 IS a mag type primer both in BR and reg designation. I think Remingtons std primer is the 5 1/2.
I`ve tried both CCI and Fed 205 match primers in my 223 with W748 and the velocity has been notably lower with both then when useing the 7 1/2s.
I`d stay with a mag type primer when useing W748.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The rifle was really locked so I took it to my gunsmith. He had to remove the barrel to get case out. The primer pocket was blown out of shape. His theory was it was caused from not using magnum primers.

Carpetman, please understand that the only credentials required to be a gunsmith is a board and a little paint. One merely paints the word "GUNSMITH" on the board and hangs it in the driveway.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote