New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two accurate loads - which one to use?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I have found two sweet spots in my 243 hunting load for a 87gr softpoint bullet.

35.2 gr N140, and 37 gr N140.

The first is right at the bottom end of the VV relading tables, the second is in the middle.

The rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye - not free floated. The first load was shot with a cold barrel, the latter with a warm barrel.

Which do you think I should stick with? (I have no chrony data I'm afraid).

Thanks.

In the UK. Shoot pests/deer in Scotland. .22lr CZ, and and .243 Ruger Hawkeye MKII with Sound Mod.

Posts: 5 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would record both loads in my cartridge specific reloading book and then use the one I had the powder for or the one for which I could get powder most economically for.

If you consult the reloading manual you should be able to see approximately what velocity the manufacturer got with the powder weight you're using and get an idea as to which of your loads is the fastest.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would shoot the low one. as long as the brass is filling up the chamber and you are not experience any blow back, are the necks sooty?
== less reloading components..
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Firstly, sorry - I joined several months ago and thought I had posted an introduction. Thanks for the welcome.

I shoot Roe Deer in Scotland.

The published data for the two loads suggest 35.2 gr gives 2794 fps / 1500 ft/lbs, and the 37 gr gives 2900 fps / 1650 ftlbs. These are rough figures.

I need to make sure I'm legal for Roe here - minimum of 2450 fps and 1000 ft/lbs.

I have no low pressure signs, the cases have been fired twice and are neck sized only.

Would I be correct in thinking that the higher figure gives me a flatter trajectory, reducing the amount of holdover needed? I won't take a shot at more than 150 yds, nor do I need to because of the terrain.

Regards, OWR

In the UK. Shoot pests/deer in Scotland. .22lr CZ, and and .243 Ruger Hawkeye MKII with Sound Mod.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
closer you get to max the flatter it will shoot. If there are stipulations on velocity and energy I would go to a max load to be sure I was well above there regulations. how big are the roe deer? the 243 is on the bottom as for most deer in the US. the southern eastern deer are about 50 to 75 pounds and the 243 works pretty good on them.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Roe are not that big - size of a large Alsation dog at most. In Scotland you can actually go as light as a .22 centrefire to shoot them so long as you use min 50 gr bullet and satisfy the energy requirements in my earlier post.

243 is plenty and will go in one side and out the other, wouldn't try it on a big red though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your handle is great Obi Wan!