THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Redding Competition seater die 22-250 ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone got one to sell or even a Competition set for 22-250?? advise thanx, Doc Stone Problem:

#1- Rem 700 22-250 carbon barrel shoots about everything into the 6's-8's but to get to the 3's-4's, I have found I need the bullets to have < .001-.003 bullet runout.

#2- To achieve this small amt. of runout I have to measure each loaded round and basically segregate the good from the bad. It runs about 50% good.

#3- I can get case neck runout after resizing to < .002" using either my Lee neck collet die or my Hornady FL die. My Redding FL die will not uniform them to < .004 or .005".

#4- When I start to seat the bullets into cases w/ less than .002" RO I have tried all my seating dies including: Redding, Hornady (which has a sleeve to help keep case/bullet aligned), and Lee w/ a kind of a pivioting nose cone, all to chance with a 50-50 result with over or under .004" RO.

#5- I am thinking a Redding Competition seater will help??

#6- Would variation in neck thickness affect bullet RO this much?? I can't stand to think of truing up 750 necks(prariedog fodder).

Any and all comments and info would be much appreciated. thanx much, Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
When all else fails.......I don`t know how well it works but try this............

www.bersin.info/english/startseite_e/startseite.htm

The neck wall thickness could very well be alot of your problem

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I'd just love to answer this question...

However...

I have NEVER checked case wall thickness, bullet runout, or any of that stuff!

There is a point of no return in being anal about reloading. I have found that before any of that stuff (or the other stuff that some reloaders swear by) comes into play, the "problem" can be cured in much less tedious and less extravigant (is your wife around? Don't know if I spelled that correctly) ways.

Now, that being said, I know damn good and well that there is some shooter out there who knocks the hairs off a gnat's ass at 3,000 yards, and will tell us that it is extremely important to do all those things, as well as burn some magic incense over the reloading bench, only rotate your cases clockwise, never touch any part of the bullet with your bare hands and all those other mystical beliefs.

When I can get less than 0.25 MOA groups at 200 yards without drinking the sacred waters of some lake located 10,000 miles in the middle of nowhere...why should I take the trip?

I use no special dies, they all have "RCBS" on them, and none of them have "Competition" or "Collet" on them.

If you are not getting the accuracy performance you want, then there are a couple of choices.

#1. Change bullet;

#2. Change powder;

#3. Change primer;

#4. If you have done all those three you have one other choice...

#5. Sell the gun to an in-law and buy a new one...

Oh...I almost forgot...

To see some of my targets with out-of-the-box guns and my reloads, go to:

http://stevespages.com/targets.html

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve. thanx for a good dose of common sense reality. And after looking at your groups, I think I need a Ruger M77 , If I could just get these bullets straight, I think my gun would shoot groups like yours. again thanx much, Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Steve. thanx for a good dose of common sense reality. And after looking at your groups, I think I need a Ruger M77 , If I could just get these bullets straight, I think my gun would shoot groups like yours. again thanx much, Doc Stone

Before you run right out and buy a Ruger 77, beware!

All my rugers, except one, are the older models (the ones with a real trigger) commonly called "tang safety" models. Most date from the late 1960's and early 1970's. Some are flat-bolt, some are even "Centennial" models. But they are all used.

Oh, and one other little thing you might consider...it took me 6 YEARS to finally find a load that worked well in the .25-06!

I know dentists have patients, but do you have patience?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much patience left but too many patients after 34 years of practice. Problem is the (parents) ?? if you can call them that. thanx, Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a sub MOA shooter and you're doing all of this to shoot sage rats. The question begs to be asked: Why?
And taking the "high road" and saying your aesthetics will not tolerate a rifle that merely shoots .75 MOA is too anal for belief.

My formula for a successful rat shoot:
Collect (buy if you have to) 800-1000 22-250 cases (mix brands if you have to)
Buy 1000 bulk bullets
Buy 8lbs of H380
Buy 1000 cci primers
combine ingredients and divide into groups of 250-300. Put groups into sugar sacks (aka bank bags) Take an extra to put the empties in so you can use them again next time.
Have fun. Blame the occasional miss(es) on the fact that you used cheap: bullets; brass; primers or the fact that the rounds were knocking around in a sugar sack.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02,

To keep runout in control I would avoid working the necks too much. Your already doing that with the Lee collet but the regular dies really iron them down and then up a lot. For FL sizing I now like the Redding "S" type FL die. These dies us bushings that will not overwork the neck yet the FL sizing keeps it in line. The die is used without a expanding button as well.

Try chamfering your necks with a 15 degree tool. The one I have seems to bell the necks a tiny bit as well and even sharp based bullets seat with a soft feel.

The regular RCBS seating dies are very good as is most of the time. One has to be careful that the nose of the bullet is not hitting the inside the stem. Some stems don't have blind holes.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You have a sub MOA shooter and you're doing all of this to shoot sage rats. The question begs to be asked: Why?

My thoughts exactly! If you're in the 6's that's really all you need.

If you've got to be compulsive (like me!) then you do need to consider your neck wall thickness. Variance of much over .0015" WILL make much difference in affecting runout. Some folks use .001" as maximum allowable. Rather than turning necks, buy better brass, check the variance and if it exceeds that number, sell it at a gun show and buy another lot. It won't make much difference what brand unless you get the much better European stuff. Our domestic stuff is a crap shoot but typically I've done a mite better with Winchester than I have Remington. I believe Norma makes the 22-250 and it's worlds better than our average domestic brass, and lasts longer too.

As for the Hornady seater, there is far too much slop in the internals to promote perfectly concentric seating. You can try partially seating the bullet, backing off, rotating 180� then finishing the seating. For that type of compulsiveness I use Forster micrometer competition seaters. They are on par with the Redding and far less $$$. The RCBS works well also and has the advantage of a porthole in the middle of the die to place the bullet. With small bullets like the 223's that's worth something. It's convenient but I don't think its tolerances are as close as the Redding. I have all three. All are very close in quality with the Redding having the closest tolerances, but not $20 worth more than Forster or RCBS. Compulsiveness gets expensive.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I experimented with my 7-08 to find a way to reduce runout. The setup that got runout down to .001" or so was to remove the expander ball from the size die and use a Lyman M-die to expand the neck. I have a Hornady FL die set and a Redding neck die. I don't remember but I was probably neck sizing. It may not matter because in my dies the expander ball was what was pulling the necks off center.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I have NEVER checked case wall thickness, bullet runout, or any of that stuff!
...there is some shooter out there who knocks the hairs off a gnat's ass at 3,000 yards, and will tell us that it is extremely important to do all those things, as well as burn some magic incense over the reloading bench, only rotate your cases clockwise, never touch any part of the bullet with your bare hands and all those other mystical beliefs....

Hey Steve, I'd sure appreciate it if you would consider going back and editing out about the "magic incense". It seems like someone is ALWAYS willing to give away all the good secrets!

Hey Doc, Go to Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR) which forces the CenterLine of the Case to become aligned properly with the Chamber CenterLine. Then you can follow Steve's excellent advice to, "NEVER checked case wall thickness, bullet runout, or any of that stuff!"

PS How many "tooth cleanings" for some of the "magic incense"?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Hot Core...

I left out the recipe for the Witch's Brew, didn't mention the blood of a bat, and stayed totally away from the incantation.

You will also notice I didn't mention the deal with the devil for my first-born.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core and Steve. You guys are way way too much, but right now I would probably do a full mouth make-over (ala extreme makeovers) for some kind of magic. . Really just reset my Hornady FL sizer and after trimming back to mim. length I got < .001 neck runout. Cannot beat them eggs.. I checked the neck wall thickness and it is also < .001 variance sooooooooo: if I had a Redding Conpetition seater just to try, my anal-ness about all this just might subside W/O the first born or the witch's $hit..being involved . I just thinking if I could order a Redding Competition seater from Graf and sons and just try it once.. if it doesn't work , send it back .. Is that ethical?? thanx and I enjoy the humor, Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I just thinking if I could order a Redding Competition seater from Graf and sons and just try it once.. if it doesn't work , send it back .. Is that ethical?? ...

Hey Doc, That is a relatively easy question for a person from the South.

Anytime you are thinking about something and all of a sudden the question, "Is that ethical?", comes to mind, the correct answer is - NO!

And there are plenty of times a person doesn't think of it that the answer is also - NO! These times are generally associated with a red face< !--color--> (blush of shame) and regret for having made your Parentage look bad.

Don't ask Steve any more questions about the "Accuracy Tricks" or he will end up blabbing ALL the secrets!!! (Imagine that icon with "Tape" over the mouth.)

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core , I guess that (your good honest nature) is just a product of a good Carolina's upbringing speaking. The good (honorable )people stopped and populated the Carolina's and the rest (my ancestors) came on over the mountains and populated the river bottoms. That's my excuse and I'm a sticking to it. Doc Stone