New
Find
Notify
Tools

one rifle/one cartridge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you had to have but one rifle and cartridge what would it be? for deer size game.

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have to worry about something hunting you while you are hunting the deer sized animals, life is much simpler and the 30-06 can't be beat. But if I were restricted to one rifle and one cartridge to do everything, everywhere, it would be the 9.3x62 in a Mauser 98 action with 286gr Nosler Partition bullets or other stout bullet. An argument can be made for the 375HH, but it is really a bit much for small stuff. The old Germans in Afrika knew you could go hunting for the pot with you 9.3 and be a step up on your Kammerad with an 8x57. Same is true hunting in Alaska or Canada where you can be hunting elk or carribou with your 06, and suddenly have to deal with a bear that want's your trophy as badly as you do. Make my one gun, one cartridge the 9.3x62 with 286gr ammo. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
300 WM has nearly all the versatility in bullet weight as a 30/06 and has more powder capacity. I wouldn't hesitate to seat a 150 gr bullet for even the largest whitetails and a 220 gr bullet for grizzly - which I've done by the way...with confidence.

This round has simply the best overall ballistics across the bullet weight range of any round today IMnotsoHO.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Neary perfect....I could see a 24" barrel if I could see 300 yards but my 22" light & nimble 7mm-08 works like magic in South Georgia.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Quote:

After about 50 or 60 years of hunting, all of you will return to the 30-06, its just the natural order of things for you to try all the rest then go back to your roots, that being the 30-30 and 30-06, God ment it to be that way..

Growing up...my father's 30-06 was known as the "Meat Gun".
When you're right you're right

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray you have it all figured out don't you.

I started shooting a 30-06 at the tender age of 10.
Dad reloaded some Win 150 gr HP 30-30 bullets at a reduced charge. I still have a box of the bullets on my reloading bench.

Then came a 257 Rbts, 280 Rem, 7x57, and no deer.

I Then made a lightwieght 35 Whelen in 1979, 22" barrel 1/2 oct with a small ring M98 action and a Leupold 2.5x8 scope. With the sling, scope covers and 5 rounds of ammo, it went 8 1/2 pounds. I packed this gun all over Washington, Idaho, and Alaska. I finally sold it to a friend in 1993.

Since then have been packing a Browning O/U in 30-06,when ever I can. However since it does not like the dry rain we have over here. It rusts too easy inside the forearm metal and action.

So now I am packing an old pre 64, M 70 Featherwieght in 30-06 now, with the same leupold 2.5x8 scope.

I have a Kreiger 30 cal barrel and a FN Mauser action that is crying out to have some major metalwork done to them for another 30-06 to hunt with and retire the M70 for my son.

My vote goes to the old 30-06, may it see another 98 years of use.

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 36 | Location: Adna Washington | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rifle for deer size game for me would be a nice, handy .270, let's say a Winchester Featherweight. Some hot 130gr. handloads would be death on deer-sized game at any range I have any business shooting at.

Luckilly, deer-sized game is different then moose-sized game and rabbit-sized game and duck-sized game, so I still get to keep a .300 WM, a .22LR, and a 12ga.

But if you meant one gun for all non-dangerous game, it'd be a .30-06 in a Winchester Featherweight with 180gr. Partitions. Boom! Dead.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A friend of mine just traded a Kimber of Oregon African .416 Rigby for a Dakota M10 in 7X57mm. Man, what a rifle that Dakota is! I wish I hadn't seen and handled it!

one of us
Picture of morton3
posted Hide Post
It`s difficult to go past the 30/06 !

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote