New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winclean ammo and flash holes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a box of .45 Auto brass, titled "Winchester WINClean", #WC452. This was with an encapsulated "BEB" bullet, better for the environment I guess.

What's funny about the brass is that it has an unusually large flash hole, about twice the size of a normal flash hole for a .45 Auto. Does this have to do with a difference in the primer?

I loaded up a batch of Sierra 185gr. JHPs over Power Pistol powder, half in these cases and half in regular Winchseter brass. Didn't see a big difference in performance (probably too small).

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingI ran a test to determine the effect of flash holes of varying size. popcorn

The .308 was used and the flash holes were increased by about .010" till .128" was reached. Differences in accuracy and velocity were not detected. bewildered Could have gone farther with smaller and larger capacity cartridges but lost interest. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the flash hole size is part of the WinClean package. That is to say, the combination of the large flash hole, the primer and powder used, and the "BEB" bullet supposedly adds up to a more "environmentaly friendly" cartridge. What a crock of shit!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I shot a good bit of that ammo, Walmart carried it at a decent price. It was clean, very clean, the fired brass looked like it had been ejected from the tumbler! Wink

I reloaded the brass without any muss, fuss or bother.
hth

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, I'm glad that you reloaded it and it went well. Unfortunately, this batch went in the snow when I fired it and picked it up and was wet when I got home and dumped it in a plastic bowl in the garage. Forgot about it until it was pretty well crusted over, even after tumbling. Since all of my other 45 brass is different style I just tossed it, oh well.

Happy shooting

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote