THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for tips on collecting brass from an autoloader

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for tips on collecting brass from an autoloader
 Login/Join

<Carroll B>
posted
The local indoor range where I shoot will not allow you to pick up brass left by someone else. Something about insurance regs and they video tape you as you shoot. I find that my Ruger P85 spits brass out the back of the booth and some out the front. I don't have acces to the brass thrown out the front of the shooting booth. I also like to keep the brass from different boxes seperated so I know how many times I have loaded or trimmed it. Since I'm not allowed to pick up brass at any other station I find that I go with 100 rounds but often return with only 90-95 rounds. Anyone have tips for collecting your spent brass and for keeping track of which box it came from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, all I can suggest is get a brass catcher (a screen like thing with a opening for brass) and load at least 100 round lots at a shot, so when you go to the range, you are shooting cases that have been fired the same number of times.

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Carroll, you wouldn't by chance be shooting at a facility on Holsum Way?

A change of venue may more happily solve the problem. Never liked that place or the proprietor.

Have you tried the Stoney Creek club on Fort Smallwood Rd? Ft Meade (if they still allow such things)?

HTH

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
What I did was to about quit shooting 9mm. 45 brass is easier to find.

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I've seen guys with their 223 autos use a stand that looks like a mini football goal. They put some netting in between the uprights and the brass hits that and drops straight down. It might take some fiddling but you'll eventually find the right setup. You should be able to rig it so that it's close enough to catch all your brass.

At my range they use it mostly as a courtesy to neighboring lanes. There no dividers and it's a bit of a distraction to get beaned by shells.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out this link. It's what I use when I'm too lazy to bend over to pick up emptys.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/112864

Material:
Lightweight Plastic (2 1/4 oz in weight)
Nylon Mesh

Notes:

Catches Brass Ejected from Gun

For Use with Most Right Hand Ejection Semi-Automatic guns

Quick Assembly and Disassembly

Attaches to the Back of Right Hand with a Velcro Strap

Will accomodate left handed shooters using a two handed style. Using left hand alone will not work.

No Gunsmithing Required

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Two of the guys at the range that try their best to catch all of their brass use a net that is on a frame slipped over the shooting hand.
It seems to catch most of what they shoot.
Sometimes one will stand beside the other as they shoot and catch brass in a net that looks like it may have come from an aquarium supply store (8-10 inches in diameter)!

A change in shooting pot may be in order if you have a choice.

One really old dark antiquated range in Nashville, and as I understand it, one pretty decent facility in Hendersonville.
That is it for indoor ranges as I understand it in middle TN.

LouisB

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, the quote at the end of your post stung me - I live in Australia. What is the source of the quote? I'd like to circulate it to a few people who believe that gun registration/control is 'a good thing'. Thanks.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rugeruser,
I changed my quote, because somebody else pointed out to me that it was an "urban legend." I know a little bit of German, and will try to search the web for sound clips confirming that it indeed was a quote from Hitler. I'll keep you posted...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked, he never said anything like that, but he didn't have to! Germany already had strict gun control laws! So even if Hitler didn't say it, Germany DID have Gun Control during his dictatorship....

reloader-1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark the base of your cases with a marks-a-lot. Then you can prove that you are picking up your brass only.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote