New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 45-70 Guide gun load
 Login/Join

<Axel>
posted
First off let me say this is not for me but for a friend...seriously. A coworker has a 45-70 Marlin Guide gun and is tired of buying factory ammo. He knows I reload so he ask and I said, buy the dies and sell holder and pay for components and I'll do it.

So now that I have volunteered I would like to know if anyone has any favorite loads for this peashooter. This rifle has an 18" ported barrel.

He wants to shoot 400/405 grains first and foremost, but I think I can talk him into the Hornady 350 gr if the load data is better.

Thanks,
Axel

PS the first sentence is just in jest. I did not want to be black balled as a 45-70 lover...jesting again.

<Axel>
posted
With all the discussions on this forum about the 45-70 for DG use no one has any loads for me. WOW!

<AVMcGee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Axel:
With all the discussions on this forum about the 45-70 for DG use no one has any loads for me. WOW!

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005139#0 00007

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004907#000011

Do a search on this reloading forum for 45-70.

[ 09-24-2002, 03:03: Message edited by: AVMcGee ]

<bigbelly>
posted
In that short barrel I would try AA2015 or H-322,I have had decent luck with both of them,also try the Barnes X-Bullets made for the 45-70,not all guns like them,but worth a try.I shoot the 350-X`s made for 458 mag for seious target work in my single shots.too pointed for tube feed though,I won`t give my loads as more fun to come up wiyh your own.I`ve also had great luck with AA-2495 with the heavier cast bullet loads.e-mail me direct if you want some specific starting loads with any of these powders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good results from 47 grains of Re-7 and either the Remington 405 or Speer 400 grain bullets. Either should get to about 1800+ fps and surprisingly good accuracy. I've loaded to 49 grains with no problems, but it's easier shooting the little "Guide Gun" with a couple less grains of powder. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I use 54.0gr of H-322 and the 400gr speer in my guide gun. Out to 175yds, this is a thumper. P.S. as usual, work up to this load.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote