New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Rem Mag flat primers
 Login/Join

posted
Guys and Gals,
I've been reloading my S&W 629-3 w/ 240gr plated and jacketed HP's and RN's using W-296 and W large pistol primers. I've gone from 22.8 gr. to 23.6 gr. of w-296, with appropiate oals and 1/4 crimps to 3/4 crimps. Everything has left me with flat primers but no other signs of excessive pressures. 180 gr Hornady factory ammo were not flat. My cronos were all in the reasonable ranges, for example w/ 23.3 gr. of w-296 I was going out at 1325 fps average out of a 8 3/8" barrel.
Are these flattened primers pretty standard stuff? Anything to be worried about?
Thanks for the advice.

stephen b.

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Define flattened.
I shoot the 44 only in rifle, and at much higher power levels. I do not see primers flattened out.
My definition of flattened, is when the round corners on the primer are squared out by pressure. If thats what your seeing, you might be seeing pressure. Dangerous? that's a matter of opinion.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the gap between the frame and case head (with the cylinder pushed forward). There's a good chance your looking a headspace issue, not a pressure issue.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 44 Magnum load seems to be fine to me. Like the previous post suggested, check out the headspace. There is a standard dimension for the gap but I do not remember it off hand. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your loads look fine to me too. I get 1305 fps from only 22gr of WW296 and a 7.5" BlackHawk with 240 XTP's. ( I only use 22gr because my Ruger shoots better groups at 22gr than any of the other loads I tried from 21gr to 24gr.)
I think Tailgunner hit on something. Good luck.
Rick [Cool]

Posts: 44 | Location: East TN | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote