New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chrono and a 300 Win and 338 Win puzzles me
 Login/Join

<flyboy>
posted
Two different questions; first, in working up loads for a new Ruger #1 SS in 300 Win with 26" barrel,using WW brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers and Fed 210 Match primers, 180gr Nosler Partions, starting at 73 gr RL22 and working up .5 gr increments I observed the following; most accurate load 75.5 gr RL 22, Fed 210M primer .71 MOA 5 shots. Average velocity only 2890 FPS with extreme spread 8 FPS. .5 gr increases velocity average of 25 FPS, magnum primers increase velocity 40fps but increase group size to 1.3" MOA. to be off of published velocities by 200fps seems a bit much, any ideas? Second, a good reason to use baliatics tables as only a guide, after spending the summer developing loads for my 338 Win; 72 gr. RL 19, 225 gr Nosler Partion produces average velocity of 2740 fps, .84 MOA 5 shot groups, but sighted 2.75 " high at 100 yds is dead on at 200yds, again any ideas? Thanks, Mike

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Everything you have seems to be quite normal. I'd be tickled pink with the success you seem to have had in the accuracy and standard deviation of your loads.

As to the velocity discrepancy, this is quite normal. Bear in mind the data which is published is for a particular barrel, or gun. Those chambers and bores used for the published data can be significantly different from what you have. Conversely, it's sometimes possible that a consumer barrel can't handle the published load because of excessive pressure and much higher velocity than published. Published data is nothing more than a guide. The velocity is a little low for a 300 but I'd sure rather have the accuracy than the velocity, given a choice. It may be that the chronograph is a bit off. Several chonographs are very susceptible to changing light conditions, notably Pact and Chrony. I've had both of those and finally got rid of them because of erratic and inconsistent readings.

As to the primers, bear in mind that Alliant, and Hercules before them, did NOT recommend using magnum primers with their powders unless they specifically recommend. Time after time on these boards many have stated that their best accuracy is with standard primers in both 300 and 338 using any of the Alliant powders. That has always been my own experience with both those cartridges using either RL19 or RL22. After developing a load my custom is to try a variety of primers at the tail end to see if any affect the group positively. Primers can and do make a difference. I've seen what you experience many times. It may be that in your 300 a slightly faster powder, like H4831, might give you more velocity, if that's what you seek. Or you might give IMR 7828 a try as well. However, were it me, I'd be satisfied with the tight groups and low SD.

Re your 338, I use RL22 or N160 with 225 Noslers. Both yield velocity near 2900 with respectable accuracy. Presume your question relates to the drop from 100 to 200 yards. What you quote is about what I would expect. I typically sight in at 100 yards, about 3.9" high. This puts me dead on at 300, or at least close enough that a bit of tinkering gets me right there. Seems about right for your velocity.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
thats the real world.alot of people think thier guns are alot faster than what they are.if you load from a nosler manual you will be quite surprised,the speer is the closest to actual i think.with the hornady pretty close.never had a gun get close to the nosler though.
a 180 nosler at 2900 into 3/4 is a pretty good load for a win mag.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I thought it funny when I first got my Chrono. Each rifle is a puzzle unto itself. My 6mm Rem is supposed to get 3100 it gets 2850. My 338-06, the book says 200 gr at 2800 I'm getting 2850 and 2900 with mid level loads from two different powders.Go figure.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had simular experiences with RL-22..

I also settled on RL-19 for more velocity and less pressure in the 338 Win. I also like H4831 in the 338....I use Fed. 215 primers and get 1/2" groups average for 5 groups with a number of loads, but my gun is not sincitive to primers or powder charges and it also puts most loads into the same hole....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41887 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
I think the expected velocities that are published (Nosler) are quite accurate for the 300 win mag and quite understated for others (eg. 25-06). The powder charges are almost always less than what will actually produce those velocities. I think if you let the published velocities be your max then you will be very safe but this almost always takes more powder than published. Perhaps the test rifles have "tighter" chambers or "tighter" barrels, who knows?

<ssleefl>
posted
SD of 8 guys. Just when you thought you were doing fine someone has to come and show you the true definition of the word phenominal!!!

------------------
"A school of Tuna led by a Shark can beat a school of Sharks led by a Tuna"

<10point>
posted
Flyboy I settled on IMR-4350 for my .338Win loads, tho RL-19 is a dandy for that cartridge as well. Dont be surprised to be off of what the book's say. A 180 grn Partition at 2890 fps, with that kind of repeatable accuracy, will put meat in the Larder and thats for sure. I wouldnt change a thing with that load, you have found the promised land for your 300mag.

You sound like you have also gotten good results with your .338 work. It sounds like you should be able to get 2800 fps with the 225 grn Partition, another option is to go to the 210 grn Partition. I have heard nothing but good things about the 210 grn'r, Ray Atkinson swear's by them.

I think that the lighter .338 bullets have a place and time, the caliber is such a incredably versatile one. Give the 180grn B-tip's a try for giggle's ; I did , And found the most accurate load for my rifle in doing so. I fully plan to hunt deer and 'lope's with my .338 and 180 grn B-tip's, thats how accurate that bullet is in the .338win.

I think you have things under control. If you want to "play" and keep, discovering the .338, then buy a small can of IMR-4350 and give it a try. The .338Win is capable of fabulous accuracy and I think there is much your rifle is capable of that you havnt discovered yet.....good shooting...........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
10point: I remember one time when I was having a problem with my .338 Magnum. It was not very accurate at 100 yards, perhaps 3" in a large circular pattern. I thought the problem was the scope, and I was worried because it was one day before moose season. By accident I opened a gun magazine I had in my truck, and there was an article on "gun accuracy" where the author explained that the first thing to do was to thoroughly clean the barrel.

I went home and brushed the barrel followed by clean patches until it was completely clean, and then returned to the range. I fired two factory Winchester FS rounds, and to my amazement the bullets printed right next to each other. That's all I needed to know before hunting season. That year I killed a moose with one shot through the shoulders at 200 yards (broke both shoulder bones, too). I still have the target with the two holes next to each other. This year I killed another moose with one shot through the lungs at 250 yards. I used a Federal HE 250-grain NOS Partition bullet.

Of all the bullets I have used on moose I have only recovered one. This one was a 230-grain FS. I have been using FS bullets for a few years now, except for this season, but it seems that every .338 bullet I use kills moose just as well. The .338 Magnum is a great cartridge, and the more I shoot this rifle the more I am impressed with it. It is simple to reload for, it does not take too much powder to create loads with a wallop!

With 230-grain bullets I use 72.5 to 73 grains of RL-19, and as much as 75-grains RL-22. Both powder drops produce around 2,840 fps, but be aware that those are what I consider maximum powder drops for my rifle. Start below those maximums and work your way up if you can do that safely.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 09-22-2001).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<flyboy>
posted
Thanks for the responses. Believe me there are no sour grapes on my part as it relates to the accuracy of these rifles and I will always take accuracy over velocity. I will admit though that with the 300 Win, it is only giving me 150 fps more than my favorite 30-06 load of 55 gr IMR4350, 180 gr Nosler Partion. 150 fps for an additional 20 grs of powder doesn't strike me as very efficeint, but again no real complaints given the accuracy. Thanks again for the responses

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flyboy,
Your on the right track with RL-19 as it will get more velocity and less pressure than RL-22....

Your 72 gr. load is very mild....76 grs. of RL-19 is max load in the Barnes manual for the 225 gr. Nosler....I used that load in my 338 Win. on a couple of Safaris, Then went back to the 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS..It kills better, and actually penitrates better.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41887 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote