New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scirrocco
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it just me, or is other having problems getting the 165grs Swift Scirrocco to group under 30mm ?

I use 75,5grs MRP !
Suggestion of other loads are most welcome...

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norhunter,

I have not shot the bullet that much but have enough to know I do not really care for it. Heres why.

Accuracy was really not the problem, but in penetration tests, I found this bullet designed opened up to a very large frontal area and limited penetration.

With a heavy bullet on light game this is no big deal but on big deer this could be a problem.

I feel the Nosler Accubond is a much better bullet. Retains very good weight for a tipped bullet, 65 to 70% from what I have seen and generally expands to a very good diameter for energy transfer as well as penetration. Good balance of both.

Cheaper as well and from the rifles I have tested, will tend to be more accurate as well.

Save your money and get some Accubonds.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fiftydriver. My experience mirrors his.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Norhunter,

Good Shooting!!!

YUP!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say for sure, but I have been using the 150gr., 7mm scirrocco's with complete satisfaction. They group well, and have done exactly, if not more than, what I expected them to do on live critters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, and thanks for your reply's

Scirrocco is great at medium size animals, but if the skin is thick it might be a problem with the rapid expansion of the scirrocco.
Scirrocco is one of few bullets that hangs together at long range, but i can't use it at long range if the groupings at 100yrd is less than 25mm.

I guess i must start looking around for another hunting bullet with good BC/SD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Good Shooting!!!

Go with the Interbond, and save even more money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I will be the odd ball here, but my experience with the Scirrocco has been a little different than some folks.

I have had a terrible time getting CONSISTANT accuracy from several rifles when testing the 7mm Swift bullet. Several 7mm Rem Mags and 7mm Wby Mags gave the occasional good group, never to be repeated.

AND, the few times I have shot game with them I had darned little expansion based on the exit holes. A couple of wild hogs shot with them had to be shot again and the damage to the vitals was minimal compared to say a Nosler Partion.

Just my experience, I will stick with the Nosler, thank you.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, and thanks for your advice.

I have just ordered 180grs Nosler Ballistic tip and Accubond. Let's hope this bullets group better than Scirrocco

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have used the sirocco for some time and is very disappointed with it. It's too soft and if shot at close range the bullet looks like washer and pentration is poor.

I agree that interbond and accubond is much better and cheaper. Accuracy is often excellent with nosler and hornady. I have noticed that Siroccos foul more than the accubond and interbond.

Swift a-frames are nice but BC is equall to a brick. I hope Nosler makes a bonded partition

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here, couldn't get the 180's Scirrocos to shoot less than 2" groups out of my 300RUM. Also, builds pressure quick.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'l try that SakoFan. Different space's to the lands didn't have so much effect on my mauser, was more to get by choosing the right bullet.

Yes sir. You would not be the first guy that had a rifle that didnt like the Scirocco..LOL I guess my stuff liked it. Still not a Match King though!

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Still not a Match King though!

You are soo right about that. Shot a 3 shot grouping at ~12mm with 168 grs SMK yesterday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my gun they're damn close.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Still not a Match King though!

You are soo right about that. Shot a 3 shot grouping at ~12mm with 168 grs SMK yesterday.

168gr SMK...yeah!! Thats my flavor too!!
78gr. H4831sc gave me some small holes Tuesday too. Didnt actually measure, but had (2) 5 shot groups that were one ragged hole @ 100yds! Really seem to like Hogden powders. Incredably clean as well.

My 1:11 twist barrel seems to like those bullets.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 165 Scirocco extensively in my Sauer 202 with a wildcat 30-06 AI barrel. The bullet groups on average 50mm at 300m with a muzzle velocity of 3160f/s.

My barrel is 28" and I have had it freebored quite a bit since the magazine on the rifle is a good 1/4" longer than a standard LA.

Kills deer like a sledgehammer on extended range. It does exactly what it's intended to do. Fly fast and open reliably on long range. It's not meant for close range moose hunting.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote