New
Find
Notify
Tools

fed 215s .. Harder than others?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Anyone else think that the federal 215 mag large primers are harder than say wn mag large primers?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Not likely, and not in my experience.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

What do you mean by "harder"?

They are most definitely hotter.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<coyote control>
posted
I don't believe they are any harder, just that they maybe a tad bigger in diameter. My gunsmith of 40+years told me a few years back that the Fed.'s were soft compared to the others.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
When I had my Sharps I was told to use Fed215 for my BP loads because they were hotter & the cups a bit softer. I can't tell, I've never had a rifle misfire due to a primer.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My recent experience with Federal small rifle primers indicates their cup is significantly softer than CCI. My Sako firing pin set at minimum factory specs (.050) was penetrating the Federal primers at minimum loads while leaving CCIs intact. The only solution was to set the firing pin below spec at .040.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote