Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS chargemaster drifting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
While the unit is a dream in theory I have issues with it's inability to weight the same check piece at the same weight twice... what's going on with that?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308Sako, I've had both parts of the Chargemaster, and the entire unit, replaced multiple times (warranty) but never experienced what you are describing. Maybe environmental i.e. air movement or static electricity?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had mine for about 10 years with no issues.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try wiping it down with a static cling cloth like you put in your dryer.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll second the static cling cloth--My new chargemaster would change wt readings as I moved my hand near it. After wiping all the surfaces down, it's now correct & consistent.

Posts: 8 | Location: Monument, CO | Registered: 07 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thank you I will give tis method a try ASAP (today)

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Check, double check, then re-check the level of the unit. Drove myself nuts with this once, but finally figured out the floorboard my reloading stool was on was the same that the leg of my bench was laying on. My weight (no need for comment here) was throwing the bench and the scale off level and messing up the reading.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well, more progress than not with the static issue. I did not have static sheets (tomorrow I will) however the wife had some sort of static guard for her clothes, so that on a cotton sheet seems to have helped but not eliminated the problem.

As to level it is currently on the granite kitchen counter top, solid and level.

What is wierd, the pan weighs 157 grains, but sometimes the zero thinks the pan is heavier, like 1.5 grains... not good. During one initial session the drift was clearly evident once again, so I am thinking more static removal and patience.

Thanks for the tips and help.