New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Brass - Nickel
 Login/Join

<Lars G>
posted
How come you can't get nickel plated 458 brass as a component. [At least I've never seen it in any reloading catalogs.] I know Hornaday, Remington and Federal load factory ammo in nickel cases.

What gives?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want nickel plated brass? The consensus around here seems to be that it is no good since it roughs up the bullets <rough ID at case mouth> I though Midway stocked Remington 458 nickel brass. You may want to check them out. www.midwayusa.com

[ 10-02-2003, 03:44: Message edited by: Judy ]

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judy:
Why would you want nickel plated brass? The consensus around here seems to be that it is no good since it roughs up the bullets <rough ID at case mouth> I though Midway stocked Remington 458 nickel brass. You may want to check them out. www.midwayusa.com

Judy,

For the unknowing, can you tell me what effect roughing up the bullet would have on game hunting? Or is it strictly a benchrest crowd concern? I must be missing something, as I have never noticed any difference in performance or even point of impact at the range, between nickel brass and regular brass.
[Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Well Judy, since you asked . . . Nickel plated cases don't tarnish when exposed to rain, salt water, tanned leather or even air, for that matter. I really don't care what the consensus is here, I have been using nickel plated brass in .30-30, .308, .30-06, .357, .338 and .44 for many, many years and have NEVER found a problem with it. It's never ruined a die and it's never flaked off when reforming (necking up or blowing shoulder forward. )

Lots of guys in my part of the U.S. use stainless rifles too - go figure. I wonder why Federal, Remington and Speer all use nickel plated stuff in the Safari grade ammo?

Anyways, I honestly don't think Midway carries the stuff. I have been getting their catalogs for 10 years now and I've never seen it. My only real option at this point is to get once fired .458 brass from non-reloaders. My application is necking it down to form 375 Taylor brass.

I'm still listening for a viable source.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars: What's the problem with necking up .338 to .375 Taylor? I know that most reloaders prefer to go the other direction, but I had success at just such an operation going from .338 to .375/338 (this was with regular brass, however.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lars

Try Sinclair, I asked them about Federal nickelplated and they were able to get it.

www.sinclairintl.com

Be safe out there

Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire/ B17G - I was only referring to past posts by others on the subject of nickel plated cases. Personally, I have no experience with them, outside of my ex-husband loved them for Africa and humid climates. He claimed that a brass case, in a hot and humid climate, could corrode itself to the chamber and not allow for extraction. Never really cared one way or the other.

Lars G - sorry about the link. You are right Midway doesn't have it.

[ 10-03-2003, 02:32: Message edited by: Judy ]

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote