New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for the 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just started reloading after being a member of this forum for some time.

One caliber I load for is the 375 H&H. I now have two loads for this round.

- 300 gr Sierra GameKing and 76,7 gr of Norma 204
- 265 gr GS Custom HV and 76,7 gr of Norma 204

Remington brass and Federal primers (215 Mag) for both.

They shoot very similar in my rifle. I get very small variations with different load weights.

The reason that I use the same load is that with this powder I'm starting to get quite a bit of compression which I don't really like. But I can't see any signs of high pressure so maybe I could go higher?

I have suggested loads with VV N 160 up to 83-84 grains. Am I right in the assumption that this powder must be of higher density to fit such a large load?

Any other suggestions to get a better load for these bullets? (Other powders than Norma or VV is very difficult to get hold of here).

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used reloader 15 with good results. You do not have to use near as much powder. I am not sure how available Alliant powders are, but if you find some it works well in the 375.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any idea as to velocity??

I've used the 300 Sierras for several years at 2500 fps on elk with VERY good results. The Game Kings DO come apart, squirting the core out probably half the time. But all of those "failed" Game Kings were retreived from very dead elk. A very accurate bullet too.

If you can get Alliant powders I agree on the RE 15 and the .375 H&H as well.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got a chronograph but the Sierras should be around 2500 fps according to the load tables from Norma and the GS HV:s a bit faster.

I really don't need to get higher speeds for the Sierras but would like a flat shooting load for the HV:s.

And, it's Vihtavuori or Norma powders only [Frown]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good trick for 375 users is too keep your reloads mild and just use Federal High Energy or Hornady Heavy Mag factory ammo for flat trajectory and big hitting requirements. These are accurate, consistent and reliable loads at modest pressures that take the H&H up to 4900 FPE.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote