New
Find
Notify
Tools

BERGER BULLET QUESTION
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
SOME of the boys on [best of the west] clame they can kill a elk at 900+ yards with 140 .264 dont know what chartage. but they clame a BERGER BULLET at speed is just as fast as your bullet at 700 yards is yours at 500 yards. can anyone clame this is trus about BEGER. AND CAN a 140 .264 kill a elk at 900 yards?? and if so what speed do you need

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you translate that into readable english, please?

BTW, you can kill a elk with a 22LR, IF you hit it in the right place.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BERGER BULLETS CLAMES THERE BULLETS SHOT AT THE SAME SPEED AS YOUR BULLET WILL HOLD MORE OF THERE SPEED AT LONGER RANGE.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No amount of yelling will make up for poor grammar and worse spelling.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It depends on the ballistic coefficient of the bullets being compared.

The higher BC bullets will retain their velocity better than the lower BC bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eddieharren, if you cannot reply know better than that, then dont reply to me at all,im not here for a spelling lesson.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vines, I would suggest that you no longer post here. Your questions are far too advanced for us. For example, NO ONE on this board has been able to answer even the simplest of your questions, namely:
"What speed do you need for a 140 grain 264 calber bullet to kill an elk at 900 yards.?"
We are just a bunch of neophytes (simpletons for you), and there is just no hope for us. Come back in about 100 years and we might have improved by then. Just leave us in our misery.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
But generally yes, those VLDs will be going much faster than an average hunting bullet, and carry more energy. A guy on LRH shot an elk at 2009 yards. (or something 2000-2010, can't remember)

But shooting like that takes luck, and for the shooter to know when the wind is within his abilities, etc.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Vines, I've never heard of the "Best of the West". Also never Killed an Elk. That said, I would not select any 140gr Bullet to try to Kill an Elk at any distance.

There does seem to be a current trend to use the smallest, weenie Cartridge and Bullet a person can think of to "try" and Kill game. No doubt some folks do manage a Kill, but it indicates to me their Basic firearm and game knowledge is pitiful.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
peter im just a good ol country boy trying to do a little reloading mostly to save money i love to shoot and cannot afford to shoot factory ammo as much as i like to shoot. i have been doing this for about 28 years, so if you dont like my post than dont reply. THANKS tyler kemp, hot core, Fjold,& ALF

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
best of the west is a bunch or over priced yahoos, they charge $3500 for an accurized sendero, and 6k for a full custom, they have the attitude that only they are capable of putting together a rifle with tailored BDC turrets capable of long range shots. when in reality most of us could ut a similar rifle together for thousands less. i woudln't pay too much attention to the things they spew, if for no other reason than the arrogance of being the only ones that can put together rifles that are capable of it.

as to the 140 berger VLD, if this is launched at 3200fps from say a 264 win, you have one hella potent long range setup. infact I bought a 264 sendero after running the numbers and seeing how the 140 vld performs at 264 speeds. I wanted the gun for a long range coyote gun, ie 6-900 yards and maybe a long range deer rifle. I had been using a 270 win, for the job, but after seeing how much less wind drift and down range performance this combo could offer, I had to have one. as to shooting an elk at 900 yards, yeah it can be done, is it wise to do so??? no!!! I like to lob shots as much as anyone, however elk are tuff animals, if the hit is marginal the animal could run off into some nasty stuff and be 10x harder to pack out, or you might loose the animal alltogher, too many factors are there for such shots at 900 yards, temp humidity, and wind become huge, as well as altitude. any more elk I shoot at I will put the first shot into the shoulder to anchor them, as i made a poor shot on a cow elk this year and it went down a revine as was a bitch to get out. most animals aren't too leary of your presence outside 400 yards, the best thing is to try and half that 900 yards and then take the shot if you can't get closer

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
After watching the kills on the Best of the West DVD, I observed a cow elk shot at 1000 yards, utilizing either a 7mm mag or 7mm STW and a 168 grain Berger VLD over Retumbo powder.

The shot was perfect and the cow lobbed sideways and died in a couple of seconds.

I do not know that I'd want to shoot a 500+ pound animal with a 140 grain bullet at 900 yards. Whether it can be done or has been done, that combo breaches my comfort and confidence zones.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks doc & cowboy that is the kind of the reply im looking for, thanks. unlike tailgunners reply with a 22 LR. I dont think so at 900 yards maybe at 50. thanks to those who came back with reasonable replys

One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
What a can of worms!

Vines, what do you think of the guy shooting at an elk at 900yrds with a 140grn flyswatter?

I have noticed that no one has answered his question; why not, do we have nothing better to do than call him a turd. (The caps lock is annoying) What if he wants to set up a rig and is using this advice as a bench mark? My response is that he needs to do more research but here is a start. He is not bragging of doing it him self so I will give him the general picture. Then, Vines, please tell us what you think of the claim mentioned above.

First the data! (This is fun!)

Bullet Diameter: 0.264

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.640

Bullet Weight: 140grns

Now lets assume that this guy at least set him self up for long range and is pushing the projectile @ 3200fps

Zero @ 500 yrds

Temp @ 60 deg F

Alt @ 1000 ft

Velocity @ 900 yrds 1976 fps @ 1214 ft lbs energy. Some would say, do not shoot game more heavy than 230 lbs.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx

If the conditions were perfect with a confirmed range and confidence that you and your rig can deliver a shot to the boiler room, the shot IS possible the one BIG issue is what happens when you hit a rib? A 338 or 375 @2700fps out of a GOOD rig @ 900 yrds can be ethical. That is not to say that you can not kill the elk with the 140 grn 0.264 @ 3200 fps, under 3000 fps bull moon

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Cummins Cowboy - Today I violated my usual rule of reading the whole thread! Your stated velocity and my First guess were spot on. You know what they say about great minds. coffee

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
... infact I bought a 264 sendero after running the numbers and seeing how the 140 vld performs at 264 speeds. ...
Hey CC, How did the Actual Drop Rate compare to the Calculated Drop Rate?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
... infact I bought a 264 sendero after running the numbers and seeing how the 140 vld performs at 264 speeds. ...
Hey CC, How did the Actual Drop Rate compare to the Calculated Drop Rate?

at this point I am not sure, I have the gun at the smiths getting bedded so I haven't had the chance to play with it at extended ranges yet

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CC, Let us know how well the Actual Drop Rate tracks with the Calculated Drop Rate when you get it back. Those Berger Bullets do look slippery, but I'm always skeptical of Ballistic Coefficients.

Someone mentioned on the Board that "Barnes" decided to re-do all their BCs due to Reality being so much different than the Calculated values.

Some of the old Round Nose designs which give the impression they fly like anvils actually fly fairly well out to 400yds. Few folks believe it - because they never tried them there. Not saying they fly like a Ballistic Tip or a Match Grade Bullet though. Big Grin

Best of luck with the new rifle.