New
Find
Notify
Tools

C-I-L primer equivalents...?
 Login/Join

Picture of Vettewine
posted
Does anyone here know what the Canadian Industries Ltd (C-I-L) No. 1 1/2 primers are equivalent to in CCI or Federal primers...? I acquired a bunch of them from a Canadian friend that doesn't reload. His dad passed away last month and so he just wanted to get rid of them. They measure .175 diameter so would seem to be equivalent to the small primers in current popular brands...

Thanks for any light you can shed on this... bewildered

From raw materials comes raw power... RELOAD!

Posts: 7 | Location: Ferndale, WA, USA | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
CIL is an older Canadian company that has changed hands a few times. So far the only reference I can find to that number is Remington lists small pistol primers as 1 1/2. Not sure if they are the same yet. The name CIL is currently used to market paint. AkzoNobel ended up with the munitions portion after a while. How old are the primers? It seems that CIL and DuPont and ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) had several joint ventures prior to 1954.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
A posible source of information. If you find anything let me know. Now I'm curious.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66110

You might have to join their board.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Vettewine
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sam...

I saw those C-I-L No. 8 1/2 primers but I think those are for shotgun shells (?).

I got this answer from Sinclair Intl which looks to be correct... beer
Hello Al,

Boy, talk about having to think back to my ancient reloading history from years ago! Anyhow, these C-I-L 1 1/2 primers are a standard small pistol primer and they would be the same as a CCI 500, and a Federal 100.

Cordially,

Sinclair Sales
800-717-8211
sales@sinclairintl.com

Posts: 7 | Location: Ferndale, WA, USA | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Vettewine
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the straight scoop on these primers (I presume) as a friend found an interchangeability chart (below) in an old 1974 Speer Reloading Manual Number Nine...! The chart has 9 different makers of 8 different types of primers. I found out that the ones I have (#1 1/2) are small rifle primers and those #8 1/2 ones are large rifle primers. I'd like to post the chart but I don't see a way to upload an image to this forum...(?) If someone will tell me how I will share this info with you.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Cool, glad you found the info. The chart I saw was way to new.

Picture of Vettewine
posted Hide Post
Sam...

Do you know how to upload a file to this forum so that I can share the primer cross-ref chart...?

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
No, I've done a couple of cut and paste posts but that's about it. If you have a link, you could post that.

Picture of Vettewine
posted Hide Post
I contacted Mark (the moderator of this forum) and he said to e-mail the chart to him and he would post it on this website. I don't know where he will post it but he should let me (us) know when he does post it.

Picture of Vettewine
posted Hide Post
Here is the chart...

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Cool. Glad you found it and thanks for posting it.