THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft Bertram .416 Brass will it work Harden???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering after the first firing should it become a little harder and not need so much babying when crimping??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I suppose that is for a 416 Rigby?

There's a Lee crimper available for 416 Rem, but not for the Rigby.

I don't know the answer to your question as to Bertram. The BELL brass I've used does seem to work harden, but will expand too much if anything close to a max load is used.

If you stay at Rigby pressures you should be OK.

Let us know how it goes...

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I have worked out thow to adjust the crimp in the RCBS dies that I have so as not to set the shoulders back when cripming.

This last batch of brass I have reloaded will mean that next time I load up all my cases will be once fired. I think the Bertram cases are poorly formed actually and they almost require fire forming which I ma happy to do just as my general feral blasting load at the minute. The shoulder looks much sharper in the fired .416 cases I have.

Thanks Don, PC

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC I always seat my bullets and crimp in two seperate operations. I seat all my bullets, then adjust the seating stem up, and lower the die until I get the proper crimp. I lock the lock ring at that setting. The next time I reload I put something under the lock ring so the die will not crimp, adjust the seating stem, seat my bullets, remove the spacer, move the seating stem up so it will not touch the seated bullet, turn the die all the way down to my pre-setcrimp, and them crimp my loads. I use Bertram cases with no problems.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass the the worst brass available on todays market...Even Huntington will tell you that if you know him...I have had a world of trouble with it in 10.75x68 and 45-90...It is soft as pudding and will not get much better with use....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will make a Factory Crimper for the .416 Rigby. You just have to send them a few cases and bullets and some money.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray do you know how many shots people are getting with Bertram cases compared with say Norma .416 cases??

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC I have loaded my Bertram cases in my 450 No2 at least 15 times or more. I did not start counting on my original set because of the HORROR stories I heard about how bad they were, I did not expect them to last that long. I have yet to ruin a case. I have 20 cases that have been loaded six times and they look almost new. Maybe I got lucky, but I have had no case failures. HDS [Huntingtons] is showing that they are going to have 450 No2 brass "soon" so I will have to try some of them, I just hope they last as long as Bertram cases have.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,

Don't know about Bertram brass brass but have friend who have Norma brass in .308 Norma mag since 10 years, lots of shots with these brass and still used.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 maybe bertram brass lasts a longtime beacuse it is soft and does not get brittle to quickly???

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC you are probably correct. The softness does not seem to be a problem at double rifle pressures. I have not used any Bertram brass at "bolt action" pressures. I do worry about them being the only source for 450 No2 brass. Ive used both HDS and Bertram brass in a 450/400 3 1/4, both have worked fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ne 450 I worry to about Bertram being the only source of brass in some cases. I am building a .585 Nyatti and will buy brass when ever I have some spare cash just in cases these places go out of buisness and leave us with no brass. I want to have a couple of lifetimes supply. For me and if I ever have a son.