New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Gold Medal, Norma, or Lapua
 Login/Join

<genesispg>
posted
I am having an old Sako Finnbear rebarrelled with a Lothar Walther barrel into a 6.5-06. Which 30-06 brass should I use to neck down? Also, what neck turners would one use? Thanks in advance for replying.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by genesispg:
I am having an old Sako Finnbear rebarrelled with a Lothar Walther barrel into a 6.5-06. Which 30-06 brass should I use to neck down? Also, what neck turners would one use? Thanks in advance for replying.

The Lapua brass I have used and seen is very good...as to neck turners...if you need a case trimmer the Forster neck trimmer and outside turner attachment does a good job....for hand use get a Sinclair Neck expander body and mandrel and use it with the Forster or use a Sinclair hand outside neck turner with the cordless screwdriver case driver system to turn the case and use Imperial Die Wax forlube with the neck turner to keep the case spinning smoothly and from gumming up the mandrel with brass...do a chamber cast to find your neck diameter and the Lapua brass is tough and should last several loadings esp if you get a neck bushing type die/Redding and avoid overworking the brass....have fun,should be a great shooting long range round...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about all of the brass, but the .223 Red Gold Medal is very soft.

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reformed 308win from both Norma and Lapua to my 7-08. Both have worked wery well and I think I have reload them about 7 times so far. Both have given high accuraccy without me sifting among the brass. The only difference is that Lapua have stand higher loads then the Norma without showing any mars of Maxpressure. It seems that the Norma brass is slightly softer
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
i use lapua brass for my 6mm/06
i also use a sinclair neck turner

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!