Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster Combo Users...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
For those of you using this setup, I am curious to know if your results are similar to mine? FYI...I have been a very loyal RCBS user and they have always taken care of me to this point.

I am now on my 3rd unit, all warrantied within the last 3 months. I purchased this unit with the hopes it would speed up my rifle reloading now that I am shooting higher volume rifle. I was previously using a powder thrower, beam scale and trickler.

The issue with the previous two units was they would almost without fail overthrow the charge by up to 1/2 grain. When I returned the first unit the serial number brought up a known issue with that lot. They sent me the 2nd unit after "testing" it, same issue.

Got my 3rd unit last week and had a chance to test it out tonight. I was trying to throw 25 grains of Varget. When I started my test I threw 10 charges. Out of the 10 throws, only one was not correct, it came in at 24.4 grains. After the third charge I started timing each throw. Fastest was 17.06 seconds and the longest was just over 1 minute. This was using the factory settings.

I decided to tweak the settings per many YouTube videos. I changed the first 3 settings to: 10.0; 2.5; 1.1

I then threw 10 more charges. Out of the 10, 3 came in either over or under 25 (25.1; 24.7; 24.1). The times varied from 4.62 seconds to 45.20 seconds. To me this is a HUGE spread in times. I get these scales are good to within .1 grain but to me I am not sure why it would EVER come in under the correct charge. Overthrowing, I get that to a degree.

I have not yet tried the "McDonald's straw" modification. Is what I am experiencing typical? To me, for a unit that cost almost $400 with tax (I know they can be had cheaper during sales, but RCBS is valuing them at close to $400) I would expect better.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Do the straw mod...

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you let the unit warm up sufficiently? Is there fluorescent lighting nearby? Have you installed a "line current conditioner" or just one of those magnet shells on the power cord?
Do the straw modification or the equivalent.
I have run many hundreds if not thousands of powder drops through mine and while my method is to drop a bit lower than want and then use the Omega trickler to get there, the overwhelming majority are right on the mark.

I guess it is statistically possible to get 3 bad units in a row but I am thinking either environmental reasons or operator error.

Good luck with solving the quandary.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine will occasionally throw a heavy charge but not very often and I watch for it. I have the mcDonalds straw in mine, I use a surge protector and I have not adjusted any of the settings like you mentioned.

I too am an RCBS guy but their customer service disappointed me recently so going forward I'll be closely looking at the other manufacturers before I buy any more reloading equipment from them.

I read somewhere the RCBS scales are actually manufactured by PACT.I haven't confirmed that but I wonder if all the current digital scales are made by the same manufacturer whether PACT or someone else.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with my first Chargemaster. I use several ball powders and some of this powder had gotten into the unit, causing the apparent problems with accurate powder charges. They sent me another unit.

I haven't experienced any issues with this new unit, but thru trial and error learned that it warranted perfect leveling to achieve accurate powder charges. I also use the RCBS weight set to check zero every handful of charges, and I set up my 505 scale to check every 10-15 charges.

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the replies. I will try the straw modification and see if that helps.