Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Old" Lyman Dies
 Login/Join

posted
Recently I picked up what I think is a set and a half of "old" Lyman dies for a 7X61 Sharpe & Hart. There is what I think is a sizing die,and a seating die plus something else that does not resemble anything that I have ever seen before. The die is smaller than conventional dies and has a thread something other than the traditional 7/8X14 found on "new" dies. Does anyone have any information on old Lyman dies?
thanks

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if you have part of a typical set of older Lyman dies for their Tru-line Jr. press and their 310 Tong Tool.

Does the one you've never seen anything like have what looks to be a shell holder on top and a pin or small rod coming up through it? If so, it is a repriming tool.

Depending on the cartridge to be loaded, some of those old Lyman sets have as many as 5 dies.

They were in general very good dies, BTW, though many of them for rifles only neck-sized rifle brass rather then full-length sizing it.

RCBS and other firms sell bushings to fit those dies into standard 7/8-14" threaded presses.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7.62Rebel
posted Hide Post
If you have a .222,I have dies for the JR for it.I just sent mine up to a friend that needed a .45acp reloader,so I set up the dies,reloaded a few and sent it off..

Go Galt

posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys.
Haffordite