New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Micrometer Adjustable Pistol Die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a Redding Micrometer Adjustable Seating Die from Dillon in .40 S&W Caliber
Micrometer adjustable device is really nice, specially when trying different bullet seating depths.
But, after a few thousands bullets reloaded, seating die began to shave the bullets.
I supposed bullets diameter has changed so, I measured the diameter,it has not changed.
Same problem happened with bullets from other sources,
The only thing that could suffer a degradation in this die is the helical spring , IMHO.

�Have anyone experimented this problem?

I replaced the Redding Micrometer Adjustable by a Dillon Seating Die and shaving disppeared.
Thanks for your help.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
BAShooter
I have the Redding Micro adj. die set up for 45 Colt. I've not experienced the same problem. Since I'm working with a Dillon 650 I may be more sensitive of build up of bullet lube in the die or case tumbling medium in and around the shell plate.
Something I did when I first got the die, and I did this with all of the Redding Micro dies is I took the factory lube off and replaced it with an antirust lubricating product. Virginia gets a bit swampy during the summer. The up side of this lube switch is, when it gets cool the lube does not get sticky and slow down the movement of the parts.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for your advise.
I will change the oil of the die by a thinner than the factory one.

It looked like the die was reducing the diameter of the case before bullet was seated to the final depth,then case shaved bullet during the last part of the movement.
It could be the sticky oil slow down the upwards displacement of the die plunger and bullet .

I reload with a Dillon 550B, your concepts about bullet lube build up are also applicable.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looked like the die was reducing the diameter of the case before bullet was seated to the final depth,then case shaved bullet during the last part of the movement.
Are you sure that you don't have the die screwed into the toolhead too far?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I reload 50 rounds with plain lead bullets, die screwed as far as I can , no shavings
Then I screwed the die at the lowest position , reload 50 rounds more, no shaving.
Both cases micrometer was adjusted to maintain same overall cartridge length.

In a first approach ,shavings seems to be due to the oil density because we are now in spring time, 60�F /75�F of temperature. I will wait for winter time.

Meanwhile , I will reload plain lead bullets and cooper plated lead bullets with both dies, Redding and Dillon, and will see if shavings happend

Thanks for your help

BA Shooter

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
BAShooter
I got side tracked playing with and working up loads for my two 45-70s and didn't follow this thread.
How wide are you flaring the case mouth? Something I've done with all of the powder though/case flaring tubesfor the Dillon is to chuck the tube into a power drill. At a slow speed I polish the portion that enters the case expands and flairs the case. This serves two purposes, one reduces friction and two I have a reduced diameter of that portion of the case below the flair for a tighter fit in the case.
In my revolver cases this produces a visable line where the base of the bullet stops when seated in the case.
And avid shooting buddy of mine just finished loading 10,000 45 acp rounds on my Dillon 650. The powder drop case expander tube had been polished as I noted above. There was no line in the case at the base of the bullet, cast lead, but the bullets were tightly gripped by the case for good powder burn and no slippage.
Now the fun begins, switch out the Dillon 650 from 45 acp to 45 Colt. I've got several 5 gal buckets full of cases to reload.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote