THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Twice-fired cases getting dents on shoulder when chambering

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twice-fired cases getting dents on shoulder when chambering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some twice-fired cases I'm preparing to load. I always check the empty cases in my rifle before sizing. These have all been neck-sized only and trimmed. I'm chambering these cases and when I pull them out of the rifle, there is a small dent in the shoulder. The cases are a little harder to chamber than a factory round, but not much. Chambering a factory round does not show the dent. Am I correct in thinking I need to bump the shoulder back a little? The dent is always in the same place. Is there a bit of debris or an imperfection in my chamber?

Edit: I just tried another factory round and some full-length resized cases and the dent appears on those as well.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nateh:
I have some twice-fired cases I'm preparing to load. I always check the empty cases in my rifle before sizing. These have all been neck-sized only and trimmed. I'm chambering these cases and when I pull them out of the rifle, there is a small dent in the shoulder. The cases are a little harder to chamber than a factory round, but not much. Chambering a factory round does not show the dent. Am I correct in thinking I need to bump the shoulder back a little? The dent is always in the same place. Is there a bit of debris or an imperfection in my chamber?

Is this dent a circular dent around the shoulder or is it a single point dent? If it is circular it may be because you are neck sizing. Full length sizing may be needed. Also ... You could be pulling the shoulder forward with the expander ball if you don't use enough lube on it. I generally prefer to set a full length die to size the case to give a light drag to .001 to .002 clearance. That way no matter what gun the brass is fired in or if it is once fired from some other source it always chambers.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dent is a single-point dent. I just tried a couple of full-length resized cases and another factory cartridge and the dent is there as well so my statement above needs editing. I ran another cleaning cloth through to see if there is some debris. Same thing, dents are still there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the dents or their size, it sounds like something is stuck to your chamber and a light wipe is insufficent to remove it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably doesn't have anything to do with the reloading process. Don't know why I think that.

Maybe a good look in the chamber will be revealing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
could it be that without a bullet in the case, the neck is rising higher than normal and contacting the rear end of the chamber. if you insert a bullet into the case and try to install the cartridge, does the dent still appear?

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try a chamber brush or a brush slightly larger then the bore and see if you can knock whatever is in there free. It sounds like a piece of grit or old powder granual is stuck to the chambers shoulder. If it was due to resizeing the factory brass wouldn`t show it. It has to be chamber related.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gents hit it. I think it was a small bit of debris. I was able to first move it, then get rid of it after being a bit more aggressive on the cleaning. I don't know what it was.

Thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what it was.

Me either. wave