Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Room Lighting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted
As I am closing in on the construction of my new reloading room at my newly adopted digs I have a question.

In my last reloading room (wish I had some pics for the thread) I had florescent lighting. After the lighting was installed I acquired a digital scale. I was never pleased with the digital scale although it was from a reputable manufacturer and of good quality.

Just before I moved someone told me that florescent lighting is not good for digital scales as there is some type of interference; true or false?

Since I am constructing the new reloading shack from scratch I have the opportunity to install lighting of my choice. I am a professional remodeler (when I have to be) so there isn't a worry about any of it being difficult.

Suggestions please.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a couple of 8' VHO fixtures and have no trouble with digital stuff

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flourescent lighting interferes with light sensitive equipment. I doubt digital scales are light sensitive. It is the rapid flickering that is the culprit. That is why you need special lights for indoor chronographing. I am no engineer, but this is what I have learned and believe.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
butch explain "VHO" please.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fluorescent bulbs come in various intensities. Normal Output (NO), High Output (HO) and Very High Output (VHO).
Moosie

Posts: 29 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the user's manual of my old DTerminator Dillon electronic scale warned against fluorescent lights. I don't care any more, since I got rid of that scale a couple of years ago and I'm using again the "old" Lyman 505 beam scale.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I set up my reloading bench with a flourescent light over it before I learned about the possible interference with digital scales. I have since tested to see if there's interference from the light and I can find none.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone told me that florescent lighting is not good for digital scales as there is some type of interference; true or false?

True, but of minimal effect. Usually none at the distances of overhead lighting above the scale. The advantage of quality light out weights any such concerns, IMHO.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Of far more concern with the digital scales are static electricity build up but a wipe down with an anti static cloth at the start of each reloading session fixes that. Air movement is also a bit of a bugbear.
I have a fluro above my bench and dont concern myself with it.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/program...rs/lat5/abstract.asp

I use T5 recessed multi bulb fixtures . 3 normal and one growlux *makes me feel like I'm outdoors .

*It's really about light the combination puts out !. I prefer 5K -6K myself . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use old machinist lamp to give me light on the desk and I am happy with it. I believe the limited lighted area helps me concentrate.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Flourescent lighting is powered by a ballast (transformer) which is a series of windings over a metal laminated core. Newer fixtures use an electronic ballast. The old style ballasts do give of a field of interference, new ones (electronic) give off less interference.
Flourescent lighting is decent for general lighting but task lighting (reloading) should be accomplished with conventional incandescent light. Some applications quartz or halogen lights (spots) can be useful for task lighting.
Rest assured flourescent lighting can cause interference. Most well lit shops will use a combination of flourescent for general lighting and incandescents for task lighting close to your work.
I'm an Electrical Contractor and licensed Master Electrician.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Of far more concern with the digital scales are static electricity build up but a wipe down with an anti static cloth at the start of each reloading session fixes that. Air movement is also a bit of a bugbear.
I have a fluro above my bench and dont concern myself with it.

Von Gruff.

+1

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Well taking the consensus of the input here ( and I thank you all ) I will be using a combination of lighting.

My new digs will only be 60 sf (trust me I can make it enough) so lighting should be easy. I will be sure to purchase two new 2' florescent fixtures with electronic ballasts for general purpose, room-filling light. I am going to purchase some small LED lights for over the actual reloading bench to brighten things up as much as possible. Seems the older I get the more light I need Wink

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Flourescent lighting is powered by a ballast (transformer) which is a series of windings over a metal laminated core. Newer fixtures use an electronic ballast. The old style ballasts do give of a field of interference, new ones (electronic) give off less interference.
Flourescent lighting is decent for general lighting but task lighting (reloading) should be accomplished with conventional incandescent light. Some applications quartz or halogen lights (spots) can be useful for task lighting.
Rest assured flourescent lighting can cause interference. Most well lit shops will use a combination of flourescent for general lighting and incandescents for task lighting close to your work.
I'm an Electrical Contractor and licensed Master Electrician.
Good luck with your project.

This explains it well.
The distance from the lights the scales sits can help. Anything that emits a electromagnetic field or static charge, radios, cell phones, electric tools, etc can all interfer with the scales. A dirty wireing system can also cause problems. I often could tell when the vacume was turned on in my old house, the scale would act up and refuse to stay calibrated.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote