New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WSM....again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK HELP!!!!! Anybody have a good load using the 180 SMK in a .300 WSM. I've beat my head trying to come up with a good load, I'm talking about 100 rounds, but I'm just not there! Multiple powders, multiple bullet weights, finally decided on the 180 so that's what I want to stick with, but I just cant seem to find a load this rifle likes! HELP!!!!

Sarge

I was a soldier * I am a soldier * I will always be a soldier
SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Every rifle is different. My 300WSM likes R22 the best w/ 180s. H4831 falls in as a close second. I use 66.5 grains of R22 for 2940fps from a 24" tube (Win Brass and WLR primers). This is a fairly quick barrel, you may not get that speed w/ the same charge.

Good luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 mags are notorious for liking either 180 grain bullets OR both 165's and 200's. Don't ask me why, it just happens...seen it happen a hundred times. You may have one that prefers 165's and 200's....try some known accuracy loads with those bullet weights and also get that rifle bedded properly (assuming it is currently new "out of the box") and see what happens.

Good luck!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Sarge, Didn't you try the load I told you about last time you asked? 67grs. RE22, WLR primer? 68-70grs. H4831sc may work as well. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay yep I did and of course working up to that level, got pressure signs - primer flow and "shiney" bases on the brass before I got all the way to 67. Gang I've tried RE 22, XMR 4350, H 380 and using 168's Varget and N160. I tried magnum and regular large rifle primers. I've trimmed and match prepped cases. I've checked all the screws on the scope, scope mount and the rifle to be sure they are tight. The barrel channel is clear all the way to the recoil lug. I'm at a total loss as to what is going on.
OK for a rehash. This is a Remington 700 SPS, yes Remmy does make a .300 WSM, was new out of the box. 24" factory barrel with synthetic stock, don't know who makes it but for a factory stock is nice! Anyway don't know where to go next!

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge, I've got several 300 WSM's, and don't use any of the powders you cited. I have had good results across all the bullet weights, using:

Win and Norma brass
WLRM or CCI LRM primers
Win 760 and Imr 4350 and the H 4831--regular and short cut.

My accuracy load with the 180 accubond and NBT is with the 4831, near max.

As a final tip, and I have had this be the case on my 270 WSM's also, I see much better results with more jump to the lands. This seemed a little crazy to me, I stumbled across it when seating some Accubonds, and wanted to have a lot of clearance in the magazine when going on a bear hunt. I seated the bullets fairly deep on several different loads, and they all shot better than the same load otherwise seated to a longer COL.

Hope this gives you something to try. I will also tell you I am big fan of firelapping, I had one 300 WSM that shot OK, after firelapping it shot the same loads as previous, into about 50% smaller groups! Before I'd give up on her, I'd definitely put her through the Tubbs Final Finish process--it ain't too expensive, and I have seen a lot of good results with it.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't trendy and may not give MAX velocity, but gives good accuracy...

Try anyone of IMR's 4064,3031, 4895; RL 15, W 748, or H 414/W 760....

My first pick is 4064 followed by H 414 ( I think W 760 is the same powder also)....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have some IMR 4064 but my Sierra manual doesn't list that powder in any bullet weight, although IMR online does list it but only for a 150gr bullet. However may have to try the H414 as both Hodgden and Sierra manuals list it for every bullet weight in the .300 WSM.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300WSM likes Ramshot Hunter

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

Fish is right about the issue of "jump to lands." By changing powder, powder weight, and bullets, you're attempting to tune the barrel vibration to releasing the bullet the same way each time. Another way to do it is to vary the jump to lands.

How are you setting that, overall length or ogive length?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Is any weight/brand/style of bullet accurate in your rifle? You may be chasing your tail. If you can't get the 180SMK to shoot at least decent accross all the powders you listed, you may need to look beyond your loading.

What do you consider acceptable accuracy?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sarge, the 180 NBTs shoot much better in my 300WSM than the 180 SMKs. May want to give em' a whirl if you haven't.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
sarge, Just got off the phone with Sierra and he mentioned chronographing your loads if you have one. If not, start with a starting load and work your way up until no pressure signs show. Otherwise, he didn't know what else you could do, other than live with it. You may just have a efficient barrel that doesn't need alot of powder. You could try factory ammo, but that will probably give you the same results as far a pressure goes. I wouldn't go that route myself. Been there, done that with a Savage I used to own, flattened every factory primer I put through it. Now I load it up with a charge just above the starting load in the book.(For my brother-in-law)

That being said, keep working with the RE22, start with about 63grs. and work up to 66. You can check your velocity by zeroing the load at 100 and see how much it drops at 200. At 2700fps you should be about 4.1" low at 200. At 2800fps, 3.7" low @200. Give er a shot. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
300 mags are notorious for liking either 180 grain bullets OR both 165's and 200's. Don't ask me why, it just happens...seen it happen a hundred times. You may have one that prefers 165's and 200's....try some known accuracy loads with those bullet weights and also get that rifle bedded properly (assuming it is currently new "out of the box") and see what happens.

Good luck!

Yup, seen it to. My 300WSM likes 165's and 200's but not the 180's.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try VithaVouri N550 with a Federal 210M. I have used both Win. brass and currently use Norma. Somewhere between 60 and 61 grs. should do the trick. I have used that load in my rifle (no on the second barrel) and a buddy of mine uses it in his with excellent results. Hope this helps. Another powder that should work well is H4350 with bullets up to 210gr. Hope this helps some.

PaPa 260......May I Be Half The Man My Grandsons Think I Am.

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Browning A-Bolt likes 67.-68.0g of RE-19 with Hornady SSTs, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSXs, or Sciroccos, all 180g. Take your pick, it'll put 3 of any of them under .75" at a 100 yds. It has even put a MIX of them in a half inch before. The Kimber .300 WSM is a little more picky, but shoots 180g Barnes TSXs with 67.0g of RE-19 very well. All loads use Fed 215 primers, Win brass.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
In the three 300 WSM's I've loaded for H4350 is tops with a standard primer, either WLR or 210.

Also, play with seating depth starting out right at the lands and backing of .025", .050", .075" and so forth... it's a myth bullets shoot best just off the lands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot matchkings on in any of my rifles, but my 300 wsm likes 168 gr TSX's with a full csae of H4350 and a CCI magnum primer. It chronies at just over 3100 fps and is very accurate.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, but can I ask why you guys want to shoot 150-180 gr bullets in a 300mag? I shoot 7mag and shoot 160's, basicly trying to get as heavy as possible and still be as fast and efficient as possible. Why try to go so light with the heavier mag?

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my Win 70 in 300 WSM:

IMR 4831 @ 69
Barnes 165 TSX
WLRM Primers
WW cases

W760 @ 68.0
180 Fail Safe
WLRM Primer
WW Cases

RL 22 @ 68.0
180 Nosler AB or Sierra MK
Fed 215 Primer
Fed Brass

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote