THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Who uses Lee factory crimp die & what results???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who uses Lee factory crimp die & what results???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I just bought a Lee factory crimp die to try out and was wondering what some of you who have used it think about it as far as accuracy, pressure, extreme spread, SD,etc ??? My only observation so far is that I don't like what it does to the brass at the case mouth. It surely must affect case life. TIA.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Shootin' 4 Fun>
posted
I really like my Lee Crimp Dies. I have had good results. I don't fully crimp them until the teeth come together, just enough to make sure the round does not move when chambering.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do. I've begun using them for all the calibers for which I load, and I'm convinced doing so does increase accuracy.

See Saeed's tests -- they lead to the same conclusion.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Poppy09>
posted
best thing since pockets on shirts..... am gathering crimp dies for every caliber I own....... Jim [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
for heavy magnum loads 44,454,480,475 i have one for each caliber they work great, from light crimp to extra heavy crimp they do the job very well.

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475/480:
for heavy magnum loads 44,454,480,475 i have one for each caliber they work great, from light crimp to extra heavy crimp they do the job very well.

Has anyone noticed any reduction in case life ???

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee uses the name "factory crimp" for two entirely different products; the rifle kind and the pistol kind.

The pistol has an oversized carbide sinzing ring in the base.

[ 10-27-2002, 19:34: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
as to case life,reloaded the 480 and 475 line- 8-10 times so far, still going strong. i do not trim unless forced to.i have been reloading only a short time. so time will tell on case life

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done anything scientific, but I sense that I am getting a few more case splits in my 44 magnum with the Lee factory crimp die. But with 2 1/8 in six shot groups at 50 yds, WHO CARES.

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I just bought a Lee factory crimp die to try out and was wondering what some of you who have used it think about it as far as accuracy, pressure, extreme spread, SD,etc ??? My only observation so far is that I don't like what it does to the brass at the case mouth. It surely must affect case life. TIA.

bowhuntr [Wink]

I use lee crimp dies on every thing I shoot 6mm to 458WM as far as case life I have been getting 10 loadings( I discard after 10 firings just for principle) on 338WM WW brass. I have never had a split case neck [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Good Luck!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them on all my lever actions and my revolvers. Best thing since apple pie, they work great. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of happy customers.

I have a whole bunch of them for various calibers.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<reverenddan>
posted
Bow,

I have the Lee Factory Crimp Die for two rifle calibers that I load for and I am nothing but thrilled.

When I first began loading bottlenecked rifle cartridges I ruined quite a few by trying to crimp with the cheap regular dies. However the Lee dies solved that problem. As others have stated I am collecting them for every caliber.

And no I haven't noticed any reduction in case life. The Lee die gently squeezes the case rather than the abrupt and less gentle action of other dies. In this case I would assume that the Lee die would improve case life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently obtained one for my 30-30, and am very pleased with the results. Haven't seen any reduction in case life as yet, but in the cartridges I've seen them offered in, getting new cases sooner rather than later still makes the crimping die a bargain.

If only they had one for my 41 mag cases....

TXLoader

[ 10-29-2002, 00:28: Message edited by: TXLoader ]

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
For EVERY application where I can use one, I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die. In fact, I'm having one made up for one of my wildcats.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one caliber that needs a crimp...416 Rem mag. I bought the Lee factory crimp die when I found out it uses the same collet design as their collet neck sizing dies...and I really love those. It's adjusted to give a 'soft' crimp in the cannelure. No split case necks and very uniform numbers over the sky screens. I'd recommend them to anyone.
Lee says you can even use them on bullets without a cannelure.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Lee says you can even use them on bullets without a cannelure.

I use them on bullets without a cannelure all the time. Or, on bullets with a cannelure, I usually seat them longer than would be done if the cannelure were put at the case mouth. The Lee Factory Crimp dies work just fine in every instance, with or without cannelure.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use lee dies and just love em. i reload .38spl .357mag and 9mm and use speed dies for all of em. got a lee custom bullet seater stem so i could load swc without ruining the bullet nose. lee dies are good and they are affordable. i even bought another die body with locking rings and a press for less money than dies alone of a different brand. i love my lee factory crimp die. you can learn techniques pretty fast to make great reloads.

the 2nd amendment protects the whole constitution...

<Cobalt>
posted
Seems everyone likes the crimp die. Has anyone tried the Lee collet neck sizing dies? Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee crimp die for each of my rifle cartridges. From varmint rounds to heavy hitters the die improves accuracy, gives consistant velocity and securely holds the bullets.
One little trick if you are concerned about the 4 little bulges at the case mouth after crimping is to lower the ram and rotate the case 1/8th turn and crimp again. The case mouth will then be smooth and even.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote