New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the bug to begin reloading. I would appreciate all opinions on which press to buy. My personal press choices are Redding Boss (or Big Boss) or Dillon AT500. Is the Dillon made also of cast iron?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon makes great products. However if you are just looking for a single stage press I would recommend going with the Redding Big Boss or Ultra Mag. The Forster Co-Ax is also excellent but has limited die clearance on top because of the way the handle works. So if you are loading magnum calinbers it could be an issue. If you purchase equipment from Redding, RCBS or Forster you will be in good shape. I would buy a Dillon if I was buying a progressive press. In fact I own a 650 for reloading .45ACP. Welcome to reloading. I caught the bug 20 years ago and haven't dropped it since.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There aren't really any "bad" presses on the market. Choose one that is appropriate to the calibers and volumes you intend to reload.

If you don't expect to load a large volume or do heavy case forming, etc., something like the little aluminum frame Lee O press will do fine.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster Co-Ax gets my vote.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. At this point, volume is not that important to me. I would like a press that will do a good job loading for two rifles (.270 and 300) and two handguns. A machine that will allow me to change set-up with ease and spend a session working with one cartridge at a time would be great.

Any input on that?

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about any press (other than Lee) will give good service. If I recall correctly, all Dillon presses are aircraft grade aluminum (I know my 650 is). The AT500 can be upgraded to the 550 in stages.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
A single stage will work for this beautifully. You would just need to change dies. The other option you may want to consider is a Redding T-7 turret press. That type of press allows you to mount all of your dies for 1 caliber in a shelplate like the Dillon so you dont have to screw dies in and out, however it functionally operates as a single stage.You can buy separate shell plates to mount your .300 dies in. Then you just change the shell plate when you want to change calibers. It definitely sounds like you dont need a progressive press yet and I doubt you even need a turret at this point. I would suggest the single stage. That is what I have used for all of these years. I would also suggest that you get a few good books on reloading in order to have a good understanding of what you are about to get into.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You came to the right place for getting started - these guys are the best information source out there for reloading.
I started with a single stage, then wanted a turret (Redding). I now have both, but find myself using the single for all my rifles.
Look @ Ebay - you can get some great deals on a press.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The Co-Ax is great.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use the co-ax, i like slipping the dies in and out once they are adjusted. the hornady lock-n-load uses a different method for quick die change, haven't tried it, don't want to give up the co-ax. also the small rcbs partner press to start with to learn on will give you a good idea what you would want to buy next and the partner press is great as a second press for odd jobs. i admit i have one and use it with the co-ax.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my low volume reloading work I got a RCBS Rock Chucker that I fitted with a Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion kit. This allows you to change dies just as fast as the Forrester Co-ax, plus you get the extra leverage and proven precision & reliability of the Rock Chucker.

No one beats RCBS when it comes to customer service and you can build this setup for a price significantly cheaper than the Forrester or any of the other quality presses in that category.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies...very helpful. Did not expect to receive this much good info!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For my low volume reloading work I got a RCBS Rock Chucker that I fitted with a Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion kit. This allows you to change dies just as fast as the Forrester Co-ax, plus you get the extra leverage and proven precision & reliability of the Rock Chucker.

No one beats RCBS when it comes to customer service and you can build this setup for a price significantly cheaper than the Forrester or any of the other quality presses in that category.

I have loaded thousands of rounds on the RCBS Rockchucker, and I agree that their service is topnotch! However, I wish to offer a correction regarding precision and leverage...

To my arms, the Forster Co-Ax has MORE leverage than the Rockchucker (and I've used both). In fact, Forster used to (perhaps still does) have a demo of the Co-Ax sizing 30-06 cases down to .243 Winchester without any sizing lube! In addition to the extra leverage, the Co-Ax's jaws holding the case are really better than any standard shellholder like the RockChucker uses. You would pull the rim off a case with no lube in the RockChucker (don't ask how I know! )

I agree that you absolutely won't go wrong with a Rockchucker or any Redding press, but the Forster usually is regarded as a press that will load MORE precise & accurate ammo because the floating system of the Co-Ax lets everything line up nicely. It is hard to describe, but you will see what I mean if you can examine a Co-Ax in person.

I've checked a lot of rounds loaded on different presses for concentricity with my RCBS casemaster, and the Forster will get you straight ammo with less fiddling around (although if you have a concentricity gauge, you can eventually get the same precision in any press, even the cheap Lee presses).

As noted above, the Co-Ax won't work with really, REALLY long dies, but unless you have a benchrest micrometer type seating die for your .375 H&H Mag, you won't have a problem because it works for micrometer seating dies up to (I think) 300 Win Mag.

jpb (an RCBS and Redding fan, but I have to admit that the Co-Ax press is better in many ways, accuracy the most important way)

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Netwarren,

Most will tell you to get an RCBS Rockchucker press to start.

If you are going to load for a rifle, that is good advice, you will always have a use for it.

But to a certain extent, one does not know where the handloading hobby will take him. I got into it 5 years ago and now have 35 die sets and 6 presses. I ordered $350 worth of dies yesterday [the wife doesn't know yet] for calibers I am upgrading from Lee and RCBS to Forster dies. I didn't know I was going to become obsessed 5 years ago when I started.

Likewise, you may not even like handloading. So I would get the cheapest Lee setup possible for just one caliber and load a few rounds. If you don't like it, you have not lost much money.

Also, some guys drift off in to progressive presses and shoot thousands of pistol rounds per week. Some guys go rifle accuracy nuts. Other guys just handload 44 magnum and 454 Cassull, because it saves so much money, and they can't tell me that anyone is shooting thousands of rounds of 454 per weekSmiler

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
DO NOT GET THE CHEEEEEPEST LEE OR IT MIGHT TURN YOU OFF For less than $70.00 you can get a desent press. Most of the H style presses will do just fine for starters.The brotherhood here have ,for the most part, given you a lot of good choices. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jbp.
The Forrester Co-Ax is without a doubt known for precision and is a benchmark for ease and speed when changing dies. My previous post was not meant to imply otherwise. I also believe the secret to the Co-Ax's ability to make great ammo without much adjustment lies in its floating system. As for leverage, I defer to jpb's greater experience in this matter as I have only used a friend's Co-Ax a few times for comparison. I'll suffice to say I've never heard someone exclaim, "I need a sturdy press for case forming, I think I'll get a Co-Ax".

The Hornady Lock-N-Load system uses a loose fitting Male - Female connecter with a rubber O-ring that takes up the slack. (I know this is a poor description) The end result is a die that floats above the shell plate, which provides results similar to the Co-Ax. Again, the Co-Ax is the benchmark in this area; my suggestion is just a method of getting similar results with out the similar price.

Good Luck

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Forster Co-Ax is also excellent but has limited die clearance on top because of the way the handle works. So if you are loading magnum calinbers it could be an issue.

fwiw,
That is not accurate. This only applies to Redding Competition Seating Dies that are longer than the .300 Winchester Magnum. I personally use Redding Competition Dies to load for my .300 Win Mag Match with 210 grain Berger VLDs on my Forster B-2 Co-Ax. I have no clearance issues. It is close, however, I still have better than a .120" before clearance would be an issue.

That said I would recommend using the Forster Ultra Seating Dies anyway. They were the design that Redding Copied and give up nothing in precision. They work perfectly with the Co-Ax Press. Many .338 Lapua shooters use this combination. As a matter of fact Malcolm Cooper of Accuracy Interanational used and recommended the Co-Ax Press and Ultra/BR seater dies.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Did I get scorched for even mentioning that the little Lee aluminum "O" frame would do for light or infrequent use! I didn't intend to recommend it as an example of one of the "best" presses, just to point out that a $100+ press is not necessary for quality handloads if your volume is small and doesn't involve any heavy case forming, bullet swaging, or otherwise have need of axle-bending leverage.

I have a Lee "O" press (can't even remember when or where I picked it up, and it's not my main press) that I use for occasional jobs. It is straight and the die threads concentric with the ram (not always true of some presses), it has adequate leverage for even large case FL sizing, has a long enough throat for H & H-length rounds (not true of all presses) and it is cleverly adaptable for use with either right or left hand (a feature often absent on more expensive presses).

I've been reloading for 39 years and have used all sorts of equipment, but if I only wanted to load a few boxes of two or three calibers a year for hunting use, I would be just as well served by the little Lee (or similar Lyman or RCBS) as I would by the excellent Redding Ultramag.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wow! Did I get scorched for even mentioning that the little Lee aluminum "O" frame would do for light or infrequent use! <snip>

You won't get any scorching from me! As long as you are not reforming cases from one cartridge to another, the Lee presses are reasonable.

The Lee presses load ammo that is just as concentric (and therefore of equal accuracy potential) as any press with does not have some sort of floating alignment (see my post above, and the other post below it that mentions the O ring).

In fact, putting a 7/8 inch O ring under the locking ring is one way you can try to improve accuracy in any rigid press because it does allow the die to seek its own alignment to some extent.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody enjoys quality tooling and precision more than me. It is important in the line of work I do. Lives depend on it. That said, when I began reloading (last year) a gracious and generous
"one of us" gave me a Lee Challenger to learn loading .44mag. No, it doesn't have the tight, precise feel of some more quality presses, but I watched in disbelief as my 13 year old son shot empty shotgun shells off a large fallen log at 20 yards with his Marlin '94s!
By the way, those were rounds he reloaded on the Lee(under my supervision). The point is, good hunting loads can be made with the Lee. It got me hooked on handloading as a hobby and for that I'm grateful. Now, anyone have a T7 or Co-ax they'd like to give a novice to continue my education?!

Posts: 51 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, One of my character traits is that I'm about as subtle as a fart in church. I really was replying to Clark's response and I respect both your opinions. I also own the little Lee press mounted on a small pedestal that I use at the range when making test loads.My feeling is however is that beginers are better served, in this case, if they pay a little more and get something a little stouter. Just my not too humble opinion. No foul intended to you or Clark. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have owned both the RCBS Rockchucker and Partner presses. the choice depnds on how much shooting you're going to do, how many calibres you want to load for, and in my opinion, where. The R/chuck was great, but no better than the partner, but then again, I can load 100 270win cartridges, and take a year to use them. My son, with his 223, can use up to 100 rounds in a week!! Kids!! LOL I prefer the Partner - why? It does much the same job as the R/Chuck, (I don't do any case forming), the loads have good concentricity, etc. I have not been able to detect any difference between the presses in terms of accuracy, or any other parameter. To me, the BIG advantage of the Partner is that it is light enoughto take into the field and reload more ammo when I need it - such as when son decides that he needs to go after pigs or goats with my 270 - ie 100 rounds in a week!! If you're not going to be doing a lot of reloading, go for the Partner - and RCBS customer service is second to none.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote