Find
Notify
Tools

Re: one more rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

The heaviest caliber I have now is the .300 win mag. I was thinking of getting a bigger bore. The .338mag seems to be a popular choice. Is there enough difference between it and my .300win or should I go bigger and fill in the gaps later?Also just what is the procedure to purchase a gun on-line? Thanks Chain

.376 STEYR

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain--I think a 30-06 is plenty for North America. If you think you need more,I don't see a faster .30 as being the answer. (Should have asked this question before getting the .300 mag in my books). But what do I know? Look how many .300 mags are sold. So a faster .30 not being my answer--move to bigger caliber. I like the 30-06 so the bigger cal would be the .35Whelen.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The heaviest caliber I have now is the .300 win mag. I was thinking of getting a bigger bore. The .338mag seems to be a popular choice. Is there enough difference between it and my .300win or should I go bigger and fill in the gaps later?Also just what is the procedure to purchase a gun on-line? Thanks Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber you might need depends on what game you would be after, and where you intend to hunt. Some details would get you some specific recommendations.

When you are buying online your FFL must have his license on file with the seller. The firearm is then sent to your FFL who will do the appropriate checks, etc. Not difficult to arrange, easily started with a couple phone calls, e-mails, then snail-mail.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have bought a bunch on line. first find a local with an ffl who is willing to give you a signed copy of his ffl. then find gun and make payment arrangements an send the ffl copy. gun will be sent to the ffl holder and he will do checks and paper work. mine does it for a 20-25 fee. copy has to be signed in ink not a signature copy.

Posts: 7 | Location: murphy north carolina | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, your 300 Win Mag is probably all you'll ever need for hunting in North America. Load it up with the appropriate bullets & go hunt anything you want.

However, the 338 Win Mag is also a fine, do just about everything, caliber.

A bit much for deer, but wonderful for elk, moose, bear, etc, depending on what you see in your future in ways of hunting.

If you're going to skip the 338 WM and move up to something "bigger", as in 375 H&H or even heavier, you should be looking honestly at a need for it. Not saying that you have to "need" every rifle you buy, but to skip over a great round to pick up something that you'll never find a realistic use for seems a bit crazy.

And, as the others have said, buying on-line is relatively easy. Just find a local FFL holder who is willing to handle the paperwork & transfer for you, and you're set.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now I hunt mostly whitetail, however I am planning a hunt out west in the fall of 06. Maybe elk/deer or deer/bison or deer/antelope. I also told myself that I owe myself one hunt away from home a year, so I guess I could be hunting anything here in North America. Buying on-line seems simple enough have FFL guy for a neighbor. Thanks. Chain

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest using a dealer instead of purchasing on line. The thing is that your not sure what will arrive! Instead first inform yourself as to what the market prices are and then you can be sure your getting a reasonable price from your dealer.

This advice is best for new or standard guns. If your after some rare item then of course one might find it far easier from an online or classified.

As to the cartridge I keep giving "practical" advice too but on the other hand if one has a rifle suitable for dangerous game then you can dream. In the mean time you can shoot it for fun and even cast bullets for it and use it to hunt for local game. Big guns are heavy of course but fun to own.

If you shoot a lot the 300 bullets cost a lot less and there are more choices.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With the wide variety of bullets and loads that you can use, I'd opt for the .375 H&H.

It is a big enough to hunt dangerous game, accurate enough for long range shots and you can load it down to plink.

Just my opine.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the 375 H&H.
If anyone you know has a 338,ask him if you can try it.
I think you may reevaluate your choice as in my opinion, the 338 is one of the hardest kicking magnums around.
The 375 is very mellow and with cast bullets is very pleasant to shoot.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Almost anything in .50BMG...

Why mess around?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Quote:

With the wide variety of bullets and loads that you can use, I'd opt for the .375 H&H.

It is a big enough to hunt dangerous game, accurate enough for long range shots and you can load it down to plink.

That about sums it up.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I third the 375h&h the 338 is close enogh to the 300 so go bigger

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I jumped from 300WSM up to 375 H&H and I am having a blast with it!

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Right now I hunt mostly whitetail, however I am planning a hunt out west in the fall of 06. Maybe elk/deer or deer/bison or deer/antelope.

I hunt everything in the Rocky Mountain states with my 300WinMag. It's always worked just fine. I think it's got a bit of an edge over the 338 for longer shots out here shooting the 180gr bullets.

I've got a 338WinMag for Alaska which I've been to hunting 5 times. It can shoot the heavier 225gr and 250gr bullets which I find better for moose and bear. A big bull moose is a big animal even in comparison to bull elk.

Never been to Africa.

If I had a 300 something-Mag only and felt like I needed another rifle for western hunting I'd go down instead of up and look for something lighter for antelope and some of the mulie hunting. Maybe a 25-06 or a 6.5mm.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I second the 375 H&H.
If anyone you know has a 338,ask him if you can try it.
I think you may reevaluate your choice as in my opinion, the 338 is one of the hardest kicking magnums around.
The 375 is very mellow and with cast bullets is very pleasant to shoot.

I shoot both the 300 and the 338 and can't tell much difference between them even shooting different bullets.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 358 hawk
or 375 hawk
or 411 hawk

Posts: 36 | Location: prince george bc canada | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain,

There was some advice here previously about using one rifle until it's completly second nature before placing your self in front of something that bites back. Makes good sense and I'm leaving everything other than the 375 H&H in the safe no matter what is on the agenda. If the opportunity comes up for Alaska or Africa then I'll be ready, if not the worse thing will be a couple of mule deer and coyote with slightly bigger holes in them. So my vote is for the 375.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How about the new 8mm WSM? Can get up to 250grn bullets, should have enought "thump" for just about anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have a .270 and a .243 and a 7.62x39 plus the .300 win. I think it was all the posts on the .338 and the .375 that got me going. I have shot a few .338's that don't hit the shoulder as hard as my syn stocked .3oo. I call that rifle the" meat getter" it has never failed me. It hits where I point it and I feel out of place in the woods without it. I think that if I bought another, or when rather, I buy another rifle it will kind of just to have. I don't think I could go hunting and leave the .300 behind. It is hard enough to do during muzzle loader season. I think just for the hell of it I might start shopping for a .375. I'm getting married soon so I'd better hurry. Thanks for the push guys.Merry Christmas, Chain

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Chain,
I bought my 375 H&H (M70 lefty) over the phone from Jay's Sporting Goods up there in Clare, Michigan. They were great to deal with and had the only lefty M70 that I found in two years.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This response will possibly draw a LOT of heat, but it is intended not as a statement of absolute fact but as something worth considering.

After 60 or so years of active shooting with centerfires, I've ended up with a LOT of rifles in my vault, and several multiples of that which have passed through my ownership.

Trying to look back, I think there are a number of rifles a person should own as a basic battery:

1- A good miniature (.17 or .22 RF of some sort)

2- A high velocity varmint rifle (somewhere from .223 Rem up through about .257 Roberts)

3- A "standard" deer rifle (from about 7-08 to maybe .338/06, or .35 Remington, depending on action type)

4- A long range sporting rifle for members of the deer family up through elk or moose (probably one of the magnum capacity cases, any diameter bullet from abut 7 m/m to .338")

5- A nice quality lever action repeater, any chambering, just for the pure enjoyment and nostalgia of it

6- A semi-auto centerfire, or a selective-fire semi & full auto. One will likely never need it, but if the need DOES arise, there ain't no substitute short of timely A-10 delivered precise napalm <G>

7- A good, traditional-style (no scopes, enclosed ignition, etc.) muzzle loader for those states (growing in number every year) where you just can't hardly ever get drawn for a tag for centerfire hunting and which won't allow the use of modern muzzle-loaders

8 & 9- Two good shotguns...one for upland birds, one for waterfowl and pass shooting (Possibly a light 12 for both, though it will be a little short of fully adequate for either under all circumstances.)

10- A concealable, reliable, and useful in the woods when camping handgun such as an S&W kit gun.

11- AND, (this is where I was going in the first place) a Good Quality SIDE-BY-SIDE DOUBLE RIFLE. (Preferably chambered for a rimmed cartridge of .400 or larger bore, though a round from about .35 Winchester up would be fine for a person who was NEVER going to hunt Africa or Asia.)

Yes, I know everyone thinks the common man can never afford one. No, I don't agree. If the common man we are speaking of has a car that cost him more than $20,000 U.S., and/or already owns more than 10 firearms, or eats out more than twice a month, then it is not a matter of "can't afford one", it's a matter of priorities. He CAN afford a good double, he just hasn't chosen to discipline himself sufficiently to do so yet.

And why should one, you ask? Having owned somewhere between 500 and 1,000 personal rifles over my lifetime I can honestly say that to me there is a certain magic about a good double rifle. It is almost like a living extension of one's soul. A good one combines security, power, beauty, reliability, appreciating value, integrity, recreation, sportsmanship, and perhaps in its own way even true friendship, in its being. There are lots of older, quality rifles I miss dearly, but none hold a candle in my affections compared to any one of my great old double guns.

Well, I doubt the above has convinced you to go out and buy a new, probably German, SxS double rifle. But, at least, I hope the seed has been planted.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a .375 H&H...it is a great round and recoil is manageable.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
A lot of guys have suggested the .375 H&H, and that really is a great choice. It's an easy cartridge to work with, it's surprisingly easy to shoot, and you can take in the balance of the world's big game with it in a walk. It can also be an extremely accurate cartridge that will really amaze you with with tight, consistent groups. Many .375s shoot both 270 gr. & 300 gr loads to exactly the same place at 100 yds.. If you want maximum versatility and shootability with considerable power, the Three-Six-Bits is your huckleberry as far as I'm concerned.

One of the world's greatest and most famous big game cartridges..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good list Alberta but I side with Allen and others on this one. As to the double rifle I "want" one but not that bad.

What I much prefer if one is to get spendy is a drilling. Mine gives me great pleasure and results as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I think there are a number of rifles a person should own as a basic battery:

1- A good miniature (.17 or .22 RF of some sort)

11. AND, (this is where I was going in the first place) a Good Quality SIDE-BY-SIDE DOUBLE RIFLE.

AC-

You need to save this & when the guys post the inevitable (happens every few months) thread on the "basic 3 gun do-all battery", you need to give them YOUR version of a "basic *11* gun battery"!