THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have a good recipe for brass cleaner?
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
I think its water, vinegar, salt, lemon juice and soap. But I can't find it in the archives. Please be specific with the ingredients...I put a little clothes detergent on some brass the other day and turned it PINK! Damn, I hate those girly cartridges!!
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing that I have found is just plain old Apple Cider Vinegar. I use a universal depriming die on my brass and then I soak them in cider vinegar for approx. 20 to 30 minutes stirring occasionaly, I then rinse them in water and then it's into the oven set at aroun 150 degrees until dry (about 15 min) then it's into the tumbler for an hour or so. When they come out of the tumbler you can dang near see yo self inum.
Try it yo will like it [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ 10-11-2002, 19:05: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The formula given in an old NRA Handloading book is one quart of white vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. About 20 minutes worth agitating occasionally cleans them quite well. They require a thorough rinsing. I use this particularly for tarnished brass. If you want a high polish they need to be tumbled in media afterwords. 15 minuts or so not only dries them but polishes them up nicely. The solution is reuseable and lasts forever.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks for the help. This is not the recipe I had seen, but it is worth a shot, and it is certainly easier...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a big vibratory tumbler from Midway. If you want to homebrew something treat your media with jewler's rouge dissolved in some acetone. Pour it in slowly, outside. When dry enough to flow properly put your brass in.

The wet solutions involve drying the brass. That temps putting it in the oven and that can be bad if the brass get too hot. When dring time is factored in the tumbler is about as fast, in my experience.

[ 10-11-2002, 21:03: Message edited by: scot ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Varmint Al's web-page.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all, happy to have found this site and forum when I was searching for ammo datas, still could not find the datas here but this place looks great, for fired case cleaning , there's something new since 1998 and it's reaching the american shores after being used and starting getting famous in Europe, have a look at www.dcbshooting.com or for US: http://securityarms.com/dcb/ ( btw, there's a 2500 pictures gallery.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote