New
Find
Notify
Tools

DILLON .223 CARBIDE DIES, info needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to shrink groups in an already accurate 24" JP Enterprise AR15. I have used most makers dies and curious about the Dillons. They feature a carbide resizing die and go for over $100 a set. If you have to use lube, what makes these better than Redding, Lee etc that are half the price? Anyone have experience with these dies? Thank you

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
I use dillon dies in 308 for my M1A. I have carbide dies for the 308. I lube them with imperial sizing die wax. The dies are carbide and I have had very good luck with them. Dillon recommends to lube their carbide rifle dies! Don't get stuck. Lube it it up!

<RickMD>
posted
Ultraman:

Carbide bottleneck dies are made for commercial reloaders or manufacturers. You can load well over one-million rounds with them.

For normal reloaders, steel dies are just as good giving on average a 50,000 + round life. Unlike carbide pistol dies that don't require lube, the rifle dies do so there is no advantage.

posted Hide Post
I have Dillon's 308 and 223 carbide die. Their carbide dies let you get away with just throwing the brass in a box, spraying in some lube and then shaking up the box. It's much smoother and less effort in resizing than with steel dies.

Posts: 18 | Location: Florida | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carbide dies are very strong and forgiving. If you don't want to clean your brass every time then a carbide die is less likely to scratch. That and for the fact that you will be able to hand them down to your great grandson. As for gaining accuracy, you wont notice any difference from the carbide to the regular ones. They're done to exactly the same specs. Hope that this helps. If you want a little more advantage, try just neck sizing, but that isn't recommended for semi autos which you have.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a good way to go but at 3-5 times the price of other dies I'm not sure the difference I have read here is worth it. I always clean my brass beforehand. Maybe I can find a second hand set. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote