New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fed 210M's in a 300RUM???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been told by some bench guys that the 210 will show a lower standrad deveiation that the 215,..even in the magnums. These guys are putting together some super groups, so I thought I would ask.

Is there any chance I could run into a secondary ignition with a 210 primer lighting 87-90gr of powder? The powders I will be using of course are stick powders (H1000, RL25, Retumbo). Or, if they don't suit the caliber/load will I simply see poor performance on paper and just leave it at that?

My last group at 1000yds had 2 shots vertical above the other 3,..had it not been for them I would have had a super group. BTW,..the two high shots were less than 1" apart [Eek!] [Big Grin] Could this be cured by maybe going to the 210M?

Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Virtually any primer, whether labeled "standard" or "magnum" will adequately ignite any amount of small arms propellent. You MAY find an accuracy advantage with one or another brand or type, but the main difference in "magnums" and "standards" is the price.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 215 in big bores from 300 up and 210s in 06 cases down...works for me...Always use 215s in double rifles.....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal developed the 215 to ignite the powder in the large case Weatherby's. 378, 416 and 460. Weatherby was having problems with incomplete ignition based on several things I have read. Most authorities seem to indicate that the relative value of 215's will increase as the case volume increases and the powder burn rate and temperature decreases; in a 2.85 inch or longer case. Most say a 215 is not needed in a 2.5 inch case except in very specific conditions.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Note #3 in the Alliant manual says they do not recommend using magnum primers with their propellants, unless they specifically recommend it. They only recommend magnum primers for the Weatherby's and others using over about 80g of powder. S.E.E. has never been able to be reproduced but where it has been reported it is with very slow powders which have significant air space in the powder chamber. Not likely that you will have it if you are in the normal range of charges recommended in the loading manuals.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote