New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Doesn't it Fit??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 30 rounds of once fired Rem. brass in 7 MM Mag. These were fired in my Colt Sauer. I took this brass and resized it and made sure the length was correct. I tried putting it into my Mauser 7MM Mag(Charles Daly) and I can't close the bolt.
The die is a RCBS and it should put the brass back to spec. Any ideas would be helpful.

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
We are presuming that you full length resized it?

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
It is a full length die.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Does it fit in the Colt?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did NOT check if it fits the Colt. I will do that tonight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue except I had 7mm brass fired in an Encore and wanted to use it in my Savage 110. At first, people told me because it has a belt that it is tough to get resized. It turns out that I needed to turn my die in a little more than I had been.

Gradually, turning the Full-length die in until the case chambered smoothly with NO effort helped me. That just might be the trick to help you.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I bet it's sticking above the belt. Alot of Magnums do this w/ brass from another rifle even if you FL Resize. You'll be able to see the bright marks where the brass stuck while trying to chamber it in the other rifle.

The only way I know to fix it is to size it w/ a Belted Magnum collet type die that squeezes the body right down to the belt. They are very expensive so your best bet is most likely just using that brass in your Colt and getting some more in your other rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
I also have had this problem with 7mm rem mag brass. I bought a lot of it over the e-bay and the previous guy had loaded it REAL HOT, with flat primers and bases. I think that the dimension betwen the belt and the base was stretched but I have not mesured this yet. I have dome all the "normal" things like triming to proper length, proper seating, full length sizeing, and measuring the belt to see if it were stretched. My wife says I ame an expert at belt stretching. None of those made a difference. I had to go to new brass. Any one want a bunch 97 of 98 empties that don't fit anything?

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass ----- No two chambers are reamed to exactly the same size, particularly two different manufacturers, however most are close too each other enough that generaly you do not have your problem. One of your chambers is perhaps slightly smaller than the other and generaly dialing down the die as mentioned in another post will take care of the problem, you will just have to try and see if it works. ----- I have two Model 70 Winchesters, both customs in .358 STA, that have the same problem. I cannot resize the larger chambered rifles fired brass enough to chamber in the smaller chambered rifle with ease. I just have to pay attention to the brass for these two rifles and keep them seperate. Perhaps this is you problem, perhaps not. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure just above the belt and if it's .513" or bigger it needs the collet die treatment. OR, you can mark just above the belt and try and chamber into the offending gun and then look for scratches on the case where the tolerance was the least.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently hads a similar same probelm with my 30-06. Don't as kh ow I did this, but thesizing wasn't uniform I simply reset the die and resized all the "bad cases" worked like a charm.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Does other brass fit the Daly? Reason I ask is the extractor issue. I've seen numerous people that got used to a push feed take the shell and drop it in and try to close the bolt on a mauser without feeding from the magazine. I've had one MKX and one Daly that the extractor wouldn't slip over the rim.

Didn't know how you were loading the Daly so thought I would bring it up.

I had a wildcat 7STW that I had to file down the top of the shell holder to get fired brass to chamber.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ramrod.Try feeding from mag.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote