New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 and IMR4064
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello fellas, Yesterday I was trying to work up some loads with the 4064 and ran into a lil problem [Confused] I have loaded 42.2Gr of this stuff behind a 180RN and have gotten superb accuracy with an older style BLR.

Couple days ago I decided to give the 150 SBT's from sierra a try. I have herd they kill like chain lightning. I bought some Varget to go along with the 4064 cause i herd it also is great for the 308. I decided to start with 44gr of 4064. To my suprise, it comes all the way up to the brim of the case [Eek!] The sierra shows 48 gr max...now how the heck can this be? I was affraid to compress the load that much...and if any more, the powder would be over flowing the case. I figured i might have measured rong, so i re-set the scales and tryed again. Same results.

This can of 4064 is an old can...like from the 80's or so. I havent used 4064 in a while. Is the newer stuff cut shorter? I thought maybe they dint make it so long.

If use could help me here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance Ryan

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Ryan, I've used 46grs. 4064 with 150NBT, I noted that 47 was the max in the manuals I was looking at, but 46 was the most accurate, so I used that load in my Stalker and 47 in my Rem 308, I wouldn't worry about compressing the load in the 308, the kernals will all scrunch together, but work your load up first, and take note of the components Sierra is using, Personally, I wouldn't use over 46grs of 4064 or Varget in a BLR, If one of the shots is a little too hot, you may have a hard time opening your action, and 46grs. will give you over 2800fps with the 150grainer anyway, you should see 50grs. of H380, under 165gr Hornady in a 308, now that's tight, and the max is 52. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You really should not have much problem getting 44 or a few grains more into your case. You can tap on the side of the case with a metal object and the powder will settle down a substantial amount to give you more room to start the bullet. If you can get the bullet started ok you can compress the load a great deal.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-4064 From 37.9 grains to 48.2 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of powder measure are you using? If you are using a powder drop, I would suggest a drop tube, I use one to compress 308 loads all the time.
If you are using a scale and pan to measure and pour each load seperately, use the swirl funnel method. Hold the pan at a 90 degree angle to the edge of the funnel and pour so the powder will swirl around the funnel before falling into the case.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YOu did not say what brand of brass you were using. I load a lot in the 308, 7/08, 260, 243 cases. I have found that the Winchester does have more capacity than a Remington or Federal.

As suggested, a drop tube ( Lee Makes a great little funnel combo for about $3.75.) and also a little compression is not going to hurt anything.

Also no one said you have to max the load. Seat the bullet to touch the lands and you can get the difference in velocity that a grain or two of powder lost when you were loading the case.

good luck!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR-4064 is a great powder, time proven...I use it a lot in 06, 308 and 375...Always get good accuracy and very decent velocity...it measures well enough...I don't weigh each charge when I load..about 1 out of 10 if that, but I mostly use a powder bulky enough not to double...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .308 Win that I reload w/ Fed. Brass. I was working up loads with 150 NP and the powder came up right high. 44.5 grains was right full. I was also using RL-22. The Nosler Manual shows 47 as max so im not sure either.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
READ JAY GORSKI AGAIN. Have used that recipe for 29 years in a BLR. Gets the most velocity with the least pressure. Lever swings like a 22. 150 gr Sierra with 46gr is all I've needed up to 250 hogs. Deer movement measured in feet. Same load has worked in ever 308 bolt gun ever tried (7). First three rounds only make one hole.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester brass and 46.5 grain of IMR 4064 behind the Sierra 150 SBT for 2865 fps. Shoots sub .5 MOA in both of my rifles, and in several others as well. I haved used the same load with the Sierra 155 Palma bullet in competition to 1000 yards with good results. IMR 4064 is a very good powder and far better than Varget IMHO.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In how many different cases did you try this load that maxed out in your .308Win.? I regularly use 46.0grs. of IMR4064 with no problems with the Sierra 150 HPBT, although I do get better accuracy from 41.5 or 42.0 of the same powder. Did you check the inside of the case with an opened paper clip or some other projection piece. I hope there is not a piece of metal stuck in your case from the forming of the primer pocket. That's been known to occur. IMR4064 is a great powder. It's just a pain in the butt to meter from the hopper. I've been trying Varget lately, and that's a lot easier and just as accurate. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have some Varget, I'd just go ahead and use that. I get more velocity with less pressure signs than 4064, much better temp stability, and excellent accuracy in my .308's. (meters through a measure much better too) I used 4064 for many years, but a little load development and chrono work and Varget proved itself to me. 4064 is a fine powder for the .308. I suggest though that with 4064 you do your load workup at a similar tempature as when you are going to use it. That is... don't work up your hunting loads in the summer and then expect them to shoot the same at 20 degrees during deer season. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In your 308 Win, I will share my favorite load:

VARGET @ 46.5
150 Nosler BT or Sierra BT
CCI BR2 Primers
Fed GM Brass or WW

Excellent load for target or hunting!

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good load I have used in my 308 Win.

IMR 4064 @ 43.5
168 Nosler/Win ST
Fed 210 Match Primer
Fed Prem Cases

Extremely Accurate Load, very much like the Factory Gold Medal Match 168 MK load.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya. Mine likes 44.4 grains of IMR 4064 with about any 150 grain bullet.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes... I like varget and a 150 Nosler B.T. or 155 Lapua target bullet, get over 3000 fps with an almost max. load of 48 gr.(Nosler says 48.5 max in #5 manual)...And yes it is a compressed load You can here it crunch the powder grains when you seat the bullet. Don't worry about it! Besides you don't have to worry about accuracy robbing air space this way.I have fired over 6500 rds of compressed 308 loads and many thousands more in other small cased rounds.Just make sure no powder slips by the boattail of the bullet base and in the brass neck area as this will cause the brass neck area to swell, and not chamber, with a kernal of powder between the outside of the bullet and the inside of the cartridge neck.

Posts: 10 | Location: Oregon, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 180 grain in the 308 Win.

180-Varget @ 44.0
165- 46.0/45.0
150- 47.0

175MK- 45.0

Use BR-2 Primers for excellent results and Norma or Lapua Brass. Excellent powder for the 308 or 30-06. This is the only powder I use in my Rem 742 and Browning BAR in 30-06 and my SSG-69 in 308 Win.