Find
Notify
Tools

.500 S&W Magnum Load Data to share
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
It is few days I have and reload for .500 S&W revolver. Here is a link for load data I have tried: https://docs.google.com/spread...3qg7U9HBA/edit#gid=0

For now, I have only few cases of Magtech brass and only Woodleigh bullets and H110 powder. Waiting for coated cast bullets (400gr) and more brass (Starline).

Is there any real world difference (internal volume) between Magtech, Starline and Hornady cases?

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Load data updated.

Ares, Woodleigh and Lehigh bullets.

Hodgdon H110, VV N105 and VV N110 powders used. Now using Starline brass only.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spread...OxCixyYD2Ky3qg7U9HBA

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jiri, I was looking some nice VV load data of 500S&W

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brian:

You are welcome. I believe that load with Woodleigh bullet and VV N110 will take down anything walking on this planet. I believe it could be loaded hotter too, but IMHO it is powerful enough and still very nice to shoot (much much nicer than H110 load with this bullet).

What I found is if there is more space occupied by bullet in the case, H110 is better. When there is "a lot" of space left (like with Woodleigh or Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator), VV N110 performs best.

Don't use Magtech/CBC brass. It is not easy to extract from cylinder, even with lightest loads. It is due to thicker case walls or so. Starline brass is great and easy to extract.

Will play with Lehigh bullets now. That match bullet (pointed brass solid) is just for fun (good against armored targets I think), but Xtreme Penetrator could be great for hunting.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Need help:

When I tried load mentioned above (350gr Lehigh Match bullet + 42 gr H110), consistency was perfect. But it was developed in brand new, just FL sized and trimmed Starline brass. Case mouths not expanded.

Tried the same in mixed starline cases, some used two times, some maybe 6 times. I got very high SD and velocity varied from 1730 to 1870 fps.

I think that it is due to different "bullet pull out force" + H110 is "hard" to ignite. Even outside temperature was lower.

Load was developed using CCI200 Large Rifle Primers, but Hodgdon recommend LRM for .500 S&W.

I believe that using LRM (Fed GM215M) could solve this issue.

What is your opinion on that all? Do you think that lowering load from 42 to 40 gr for LRM is "safe enough"?

Thanks you all for advice.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Tried Fed GM215M primers, load data updated. Just tested initial loads with Lehigh bullets. It is too much primer for Ares bullets, which are really "tight" and crimp is very effective. They are so "tight" that firing empty case with CCI 200 will not even move the bullet. It just click and that is all.

The most powerful load developed is 2600 ft-lb + reached out of 7.5" barrel so far . . .

https://docs.google.com/spread...OxCixyYD2Ky3qg7U9HBA

Jiri