Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Note About Natchez Shooters Supply
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

Like the rest of you, I receive several flyers a month: Graf's, Sinclair, Mid South, Natchez, Lock, Stock & Barrel, etc.

Often the Natchez flyer lists some very good sales prices on RWS brass. I am using a lot of that type of brass researching load combinations to use for the new ammo company.

Earlier in the year I ordered some brass (5.6 x 57 RWS), and saved some money. Good deal.

Well, the last few months when I call, they won't honor the printed sales prices. There is a small disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says prices can change, yada, yada, yada - HOWEVER they keep printing the same sales prices month after month. My question is, at what point does this tactic transition from a childish annoyance to a "bait and switch" tactic.

Personally, if they don't honor their published prices on brass, I don't bother checking on bullets, powder, primers, tools, etc. I just move on to the next company.

I guess I'm curious if this type of tactic backfires on them, or if people just go ahead and order anyway because they are already on the computer or the telephone.

I do admit that I admire when someone with a mid Tennessee accent can talk to someone with a Chicago accent (me) like I'm the rube, and they are the high brow Big Grin.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheaper Than Dirt does the same thing but I think it's because of rapidly increasing prices and the time lag between sending catalogs to printers and the time we get them.

There is no excuse for internet pricing to be wrong however.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with LD here.

As you can see from the location line I'm located in Europe and extensively read the "Fine Print" prior to ordering from any Distributor.

I've never actually placed an order to Natchez for JUST exactly the reason LD states. I read all the adverts in the substantial amount of monthly shooting periodicals I receive (I'm always on the look-out for a deal!). I'll be the first to admit that some of the magazines are "Old News" by the time they arrive in Europe (up to a month) and have continually noticed Natchez's (especially their Scope Specials) prices. When attempting (I've never consumated the deal) to order On-Line I NEVER receive the so-called "Special" advertised price as quoted but rather their original price.

stir

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought several things from Natchez with no hitches.
A couple of years ago, they had a special on some scopes, two of which were refurb pistol scopes. The sales guy asked me what circular I saw them in, and what the stated price was. I told them, and that's what they charged me.
Maybe they've changed sheets of nusic.
All of the other stuff, like much brass, and bullets, have discount prices, and that's what I get charged.

Don

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Their shipping was alittle ridiculous the last time I purchased something from their site.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Last time I tried to buy from them I called to place an order the day I got the flyer and was told the price was no longer valid. There are too many other easy places to deal with to put up with that kind of business practice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I haven't ordered anything from them in about a year but they used to ask what flyer I saw it in and routinely gave me the lower price of either the flyer or the internet price.

I've called them about deals that I saw on scopes on other sites and they used to beat those prices.

Maybe they've changed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
They sent me what was supposed to be a new Hodgdon reloading magazine which actually turned out to be an old one. They refunded my money but it was an annoyance.

They consistently list Barnes bullets in larger diameter cartridges as being 50/box which would be an excellent deal except they're really only 20/box so they're not that great a deal.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they actually stock the stuff they advertise on sale?

I quit dealing with them for many reasons. 1) they often don't have the stuff they advertise on sale. 2) their prices aren't that good compared to others. 3) Midway ships faster.

The stuff they advertise isn't in stock so much, I can't help but think they are grossly incompetent or baiting and switching.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased from NSS many times and have had nothing but excellent experiences. Also, if you happen to live in Texas, the ordinary ground shipping usually takes only two days.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I've had nothing but good service.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD,

I have always gotten good service from Graf's & Sons going online to check prices and order. I don't bother with anybody else. If I need it bad I run into Cliff's or Cabela's. I've had the same problems with NSS you had...no mo!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent bought from natchez in years. Out of stock or higher prices than advertized.

Plus, as I remember their shipping prices are way high and any savings on lower price marked in the cataloge, your total is higher with shipping than other supplyers.

Midsouth is out of stock on many items I try and order.

Ive been useing Grafs latley, always have in stock what I order, shipping price is good, good service and delivery time. They also have a good supply of lapua , norma and other non US components

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natchez = Midsouth, but I buy from Midsouth, becuase it's better Wink

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had any problems with Natchez.They have always honored their prices with me.Maybe it depends on who you are dealing with?????Everyone has a bad day.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Chargemaster 1500 from Natchez at an exceptional price.

Still, like many others, I'm almost exclusively a Graf's customer now.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've had really good experiences from Natchez, Graf's and Widener's.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I use Graf's a lot, Gunstop n Minnesota, Huntington's for the European brass, Powder Valley and Lock, Stock and Barrel. Custom Brass and Bullets are also a total pleasure to deal with.

LD

PS I did think it was funny when he asked me the key number off the flyer, but then didn't offer any of the advertised prices. I did have to rate him as an 8 out of 10 on the pregnant pause ability scale.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Natchezz has refused to honor their advertised prices with me before. And, once, I ordered some brass on-line and the next day they cancelled the order saying they were out. So, I called up and asked if they had any of the brass and they said yes, how much would you like.

Like you, they've asked me before, which price I was looking at.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
LD,

I have always gotten good service from Graf's & Sons going online to check prices and order. I don't bother with anybody else. If I need it bad I run into Cliff's or Cabela's. I've had the same problems with NSS you had...no mo!

Rich
DRSS

I too have had good service from Graf's. If Grafs doesn't have it, Huntingtons usually does. Both seem to have good pricing.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only employees less knowledgeable about the merchandise, than Midway employees, were at the now gone Ernst Hardware store chain.

The only person more arrogant than Larry Potterfield is Anthony Bourdain.

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I have never ordered from Natchez but have been ordering from Midsouth lately. Very friendly on the phone and reasonable shipping compared to the piracy that Midway calls shipping costs. Just my 2 cents. (But dang does Natchez have cheap remington brass) But I am lucky enough to deliver sweet cream to an ice cream plant just a few minutes drive from Sinclair International in Fort Wayne. Sometimes you get a better price than in their catalog if you buy at their counter. If you want to drool over reloading toys they are the cats meow for widgets LOL. Their stuff is so well machined and polished. Its nice to know someone still cares for quality. Everytime I go in there I have to take all the cash I'm willing to spend and leave the cards in the semi LOL. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
.. have been ordering from Midsouth lately. Very friendly on the phone and reasonable shipping compared to the piracy that Midway calls shipping costs. Just my 2 cents.

1) wholesale shipping to UPS that Midway pays ................................$0.50/ pound
2) retail shipping.................................................................................$1.00/pound
3) rip off shipping that Midway charges...............................................$2.00/pound
4) Extra Special Handling Charge piracy fee that midway charges......$4.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting reading as to problems with Mail order out fits .

I've and do deal with most of them on a regular basis . Living in Komyfornia we expect the shafting !. I must say in all honesty for my dealings I've only had minor problems with Mid Way .

Might be like the card game , sometimes your dealt sure winners ; other times you couldn't buy a winning hand !.

Some one earlier mentioned order printing time tables . Well some times their own suppliers screw them on delivery schedules .

I simply try to stay ahead of the re ordering game with the 7 P theory . 98.9% of the time works for me !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've normally had good luck overall with Midway, Cabelas, Grafs, Mid South and Natchez...

Midway and Cabelas have had a few screw ups, but called them and they straightened it right out...

I do kind of bounce around, with who may be running the best deals on this item or that item., and what the most cost effective price is, delivered on the door step...

it is almost like shipping is the deciding factor for a lot of these mail order places for the consumer.....

Poor customer service and you immediately have an alternative available...

Some of these smaller guys like Wideners is also supposed to be a pretty good place to do business with...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
I love Natchez for their scope deals...

Bought a couple of Weaver Grand Slams 4.75x40 for $139 I think. Clearest damn scope I've ever seen and works great on my .22s.

All in all, never had a bad transaction with any of the suppliers.

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really shouldn't complain; once all the work-ups are done and the distribution network is set up.........

Then I have to deal with NORMA, RUAG, RWS, VV, LAPUA (all part of the same conglomerate) more directly.......

That will be the real treat. The only language problem I anticipate is with WOODLEIGH.

LD