THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 45 grain bullet in 22 Hornet or other ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Howdy

I have picked up around 300 of the Nosler "Solid Base" 45 grain .224
bullets labeled "Hornet" on the box.

Some of these bullets have been loaded
in Hornet and also .221 Fireball with
various powders. I have yet to try any
of the loads.

With the limited length magazine in my CZ Hornet, I am hoping this bullet will produce
decent accuracy for use as a repeating
cartridge in that short Hornet magazine.

Another possibility is to load them for a
Ruger No 1 in .223

Anyone like this bullet or have any earth
shaking results with them?

Thanking you in advance. "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
For what little it's worth the Noslers are th most accurate Hornet bullet I have shot. Brno circa 1949. Sub MOA rifle... good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
A question to add to my older post:

I believe this Nosler .22 Hornet, 45 grain solid base bullet has been discontinued.

Nosler does not have an "email contact" button on its site. They still show the bullet on their list of products, but a wholesaler I order from listed it as "discontinued." If this is true, I am not happy.

Can anyone verify?

Also, anyone know if Nosler has intentions of replacing this bullet with something similar?

I gotta find a GOOD bullet with shorter nose to fit my CZ magazines. While the long, narrow spire points like Hornady V-Max are great, they have to be loaded singly and I want this rifle to repeat quickly if needed.

THANKS for reading my garbage. "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer also makes a short 40gr. spitzer that shoots quite well in my CZ hornet. Havn't tried the 33gr. TNT's yet. That bullet looks kind of stubby.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
usually the bullets marked hornet are quite thin jacketed and have velocity limits on them. Kind of like the sierra blitz. I doubt that nosler has any intentions of bringing back the solid base line, and figures the BT's will more than take their place

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo,

You might want to try some of the 35gr Vmax's in your rifle. They work great for me with 12.5 grs of 'LilGun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra Hornet bullets are a semi-pointed bullet and are quite a bit shorter than their 45 grain Spitzer. I find either is quite accurate in my Kimber

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote