New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222rem or .222rem mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to chamber a rifle in either .222 rem. or .222 rem. mag. and was looking for any experienced opinions to help me decide. Thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're thinkin' about the 222 Mag you might just as well go with a .223. Not a whole lot of difference ballistically, and 222 Mag brass is sometimes hard to find. I'd go with the 222, great accuracy and it's close enough to the 223 for what I do.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what purpose is the rifle going to be used. For puching paper up to 200 yards the 222 is the answer because it is inherently a little more accurate. Plus Fine lapua brass and loads of excellent reloading equip. For nostalgia either is a classic. You will find the velocity increase of the Mag. is not that great in practice if the wind is blowing at all. You will have more trouble with reading the wind than the drop. Then it's a .223 vs .243 question.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a 222 Rem Mag recently and like it a lot but can't offer too much on its use other than range reports. I have used 22 Hornets, 222 Rem, and 223 Rem extensively and really have grown to like (love?) the 223. Cheap components, great accuracy, tons of factory ammo offered, etc.. Between the 222 Rem and 222 Rem Mag I'd get the plain 222 Rem if it would fit the bill for my use. Lately I've been coyote hunting a lot mostly with a 24" AR-15 223 and couldn't be happier with the perfomance, but really in truth every shot I had but one (320 yds) would have been easily handled with the smaller 222 Rem.

What are you planning on using the rifle for????

Posts: 1178 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
.222 Remington

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with either, both are excellent rounds, if for paper punching only, I'd go for the 222, if serious varmiting, I'd go for the 222 mag and take advantage of the extra 75-100 yards of trajectory it offers.
If we went back in time and if all 3 rounds, 222, 223 and 222 magnum were introduced at the same time, and one wasn't adopted by the military, I think the 222 mag would survive and the other two would die off... timing is everything. Brass for 222 mag is still widely available as are dies.
If you really want to get interesting, try the 222 magnum improved, now that is a great round.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.222; 222 Mag; 223
Read the information on how the U. S. Military came up with their .223 round.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us a little more about your intended usage and also about what kind of action you intend to put it on. That will make some difference in the ultimate recommendation.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the .222Rem. Mag. and am sorry Remington discontinued it. Mine is a Sako L461 with a 22" Hart SS barrel and McMillan fibergrain stock. It's an accurate beggar, but I guess we have to face reality. It's time has come and gone. The .222Rem. was and is still probably the most accurate caliber save for those used in benchrest competition. I've never used the .223 and probably never will, not as long as there's still a .22-250Rem. out there.
I guess I just die hard, but I know what I like. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larry b.:
I am about to chamber a rifle in either .222 rem. or .222 rem. mag. and was looking for any experienced opinions to help me decide. Thanks

I'd go with the 222 as alittle easier to fine tune. I just cann't get my 222 rem mag to shoot as good as the 222. I still have about 200 rd of the old fereal match brass that I getting ready to use. I have a friend that still uses a 222 for benchrest. Well good luck! Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will put a smile on your face.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
quote:

I'd go with the 222 as alittle easier to fine tune. I just cann't get my 222 rem mag to shoot as good as the 222. I still have about 200 rd of the old fereal match brass that I getting ready to use. I have a friend that still uses a 222 for benchrest. Well good luck! Tom
Tom,
I'd be willing to bet the problem is in the equipment rather than the cartridge.
I had a 40XBBR in .222 Mag that shot so well that it was almost boring. I'd still have it if it didn't weigh 14# JMHO
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you enjoy having an obscure caliber that requires extra effort to find brass for, go with the .223 -- it's one of the all-time great ones. Its' ballistically indistinguishable from the .222 magnum, but not interchangeable with it. You can pick up all the .223 brass you'll ever need free at almost any range. And you can buy a very large variety of loaded ammunition for it, almost anywhere, and very cheaply.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lloyd,

Cheverly, eh? I used to drive the bus route there while I was going to university in College Park. Great community and nice people. That was 25 years ago. Tell me, does the town cop still lurk on Cheverly Ave? I still remember trying to figure out where he was hiding. I have to take issue with you on the .222Rem. Mag. If you already have the dies and a few hundred cases to last out your lifetime, it's a great caliber. Otherwise I guess it's not a good investment. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a Sako 222 Remington. Learned to reload with it. Still collect the 222 Remingtons when I can find one.

Also shoot the 223 Remington and the 222 Remington Magnum.

Because I like rarer stuff other people don't fool with, I would go with the 222 Rem Mag with a 26 inch barrel.

But if I really intended to shoot a lot of prairie dogs, I would get the 223 so as to use surplus and factory reloads.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hav 3 rifles in 222mag : A Sako 461, 469 and Rem 722. The Rem was restocked in France in the late 50's with a drop dead beautiful stock. The guy I bought the rifle from told me he paid $460 for the stock in 1959. It's so purty I couldn't resist braggin'. Sorry.
I like the cartridge but I'd pick the 223 for general use. The 222 Mag is a reloader special now.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
Hello Lloyd,

Cheverly, eh? I used to drive the bus route there while I was going to university in College Park. Great community and nice people. That was 25 years ago. Tell me, does the town cop still lurk on Cheverly Ave? I still remember trying to figure out where he was hiding.

No, there's a town police force now with numerous officers. They don't lurk often, although they do sometimes. They have now screwed up Cheverly Avenue by putting traffic curbs in it.

I've been here since 1990. It is a good community with nice people. The best thing about it is its convenience to New York Avenue and NE District of Columbia, where I work.

It's also just a short ride up the BW parkway to Greenbelt Road and then east to Good Luck Road to the Prince George's County Trap and Skeet Center, where I shoot skeet quite often. Just this past Thursday evening, I shot my first doubles skeet there; this was a NSSA sanctioned event, and I got 90 out of 100 -- not bad for a complete beginner at skeet doubles, no?

The rifle range I use is owned by the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, and is west of Baltimore, on Marriottsville Road north of Interstate 70 -- a drive of 42 miles from my house, so I don't get there as often as I'd like.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
quote:

Tom,
I'd be willing to bet the problem is in the equipment rather than the cartridge.
I had a 40XBBR in .222 Mag that shot so well that it was almost boring. I'd still have it if it didn't weigh 14# JMHO
Stepchild

MY 40X 222 SHOOTS IN THE 2'S AND MY TIGHT NECK 222 WILL GO INTO THE 1'S MY FACTORY 222 WILL DO IN THE 3'S. NOW BOTH MY 222 REM MAG ARE FACTORY RIFLES ONE IS A 722 AND THE OTHER IS A 700 BOTH BEDDED. WHEN I TEST FOR LOAD I INSTALL A 2OZ TRIGGER PLUS USE A 36X SCOPE PLUS I KNOW HOW TO SHOOT AND TEST FOR LOADS. BOTH RIFLES WILL DO IN THE 4'S AND SOMETIMES IN THE 3'S. I DON'T THINK ITS AN EQUIPMENT PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE A 6X47 LIGHT FACTORY 40X AND IT IS ALSO ALITTLE TOUCHY ABOUT LOADS. ONE OF MY NEXT PROJECTS IS TO BUILD A 222MAGAI WITH A 1/12 TWIST BARREL. I DID A 222AI (0LD BR ROUND) WITH A 1/12 TWIST AND IT WILL GET THEM IN THE 2'S. THE BENCH REST GUYS TRIED THE 222REM MAG AND FOUND IT DID BETTER WHEN THEY NECK IT UP TO 6MM (6X47)AND IT WAS ALWAYS ALITTLE HARD TO LOAD FOR. SINCE I OWN BOTH RIFLE AND AN OPINION WAS ASKED I TRY AN GIVE AN HONEST ANSWER. I KNOW A GUY HERE IN TOWN AND HE STILL USES A 222 FOR BR MATCHES. THE 222 HAS SHOT THE SMALEST GROUP ON RECORD PLUS AFEW YEARS AGO MIKE WALKER SHOT THE SMALL GROUP IN AZ WITH HIS 222. EQUIPMENT PROBLEMS MY!!!! TOM

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote