New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Bullet??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For deer or any animal in the 250 lb. class. I was looking at Hornady SST Interlock and the Speer Hot Cor. Which one will hold together and give better penatration. Velocity will be between 2800 and 3000 f.p.s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HG,
A hint regarding caliber would be nice. K-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Caliber? I find the SST to fragment, I would use a Speer in the heavier weights.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I left out the cal. one would be a 308 Winchester and the other would be a 6.5-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to be more specific. We must know what weight bullet for each caliber and cartridge.

Also all 250 lb species are not the same.

For starters 180 gr cup and core bullets starting at 06 velocities are proven to work.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 6.5-06 I like 140 grain bullets. They have a very high S.D. For the 308 I was thinking either a 150 grain or a 165 grain.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have great luck with the 150 gr SST for .308. It is like a heavy varmit bullet, but all the deer I shot with it were anchored in one shot.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
1998, north MO, 270 Win, 150 Speer Spitzer, max IMR4831, 130 yards. Bullet went in but didn't come out. Deer fell down and never moved again..til I dragged him onto my atv.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 154 SST in my 7mm rem mag for a few years, they performed well but showed on a large buck to be more explosive than my previous load 150 NBT's. In this case the shot was quarter away 130 yards, bullet entered the ribs and exit the opposing shoulder, the entrance was slightly larger than the bullet diameter but on the opposite shoulder it was huge - a fist or 2 sized(pretty much plucked the shoulder right off the buck only a small amount of hide was left at the top portion). Same shot occurred 2 years ago except with a 150 NBT on a similar sized buck while the shoulder showed damage as one would expect with this style of bullet it was significantly less and had less bloodshot than the SST animal. The shot distance was actually less @ under 100 yards. Both animals never took another step and were slightly larger than our average buck here in Saskatchewan (300lbs plus). I found the accuracy of both to be excellent.

I have never used speers but my partner uses both 145 and 160 gr Speers GS in his 280 Rem. I can say they showed very well both on paper and in game. In my estimate they behave and perform very similar to a Nosler Partition on deer sized animals retaining decent mass and pentrating deep without excessive bloodshot or damage.

You may also look at the Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond, for good expansion but yet better retention of mass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer in the 250 lb class? There are some, like large Caribou and smaller Red Deer (European Stags). Another 250 lb deer might be a pen-raised Axis. If you're talking about mule deer or whitetail, even the large Northern variety, either bullet is fully sufficient.

You are wise to use the 140 grain bullet in a 6.5-06 for a number of reasons. Shoot either the Hornady or the Speer, just use the one that shoots best in your gun. Personally, the 140 grain Nosler Partition has always worked wonderfully in my .264 Winchester, but I use it because it shoots well, not because its terminal performance is necessary for an animal in the "250 lb class".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hot Core for sure, The SST is just like a varmint bullet but, it should work great if impacts are around 2500fps and less.

I've only shot the Hot Cores into clay banks but, they were impressive considering they are a cup and core bullet. The 100 Grain .257s held together better than I would have thought.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Why not goto the Hornady SST Interbond..?

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hglass:
Sorry I left out the cal. one would be a 308 Winchester and the other would be a 6.5-06.

hglass-
Given that both calibres mentiones are derived from the same parent case (the 30-06) both have the potential for speed -especially with light bullets.
For the most part 6.5 calibre isn't a big problem because the bullets are long and aren't driven to the breaking point until pressures are up there. Any good 129-140 bullet will do what you ask of it. My choices run from soft (Sierra) 140s, non-premiums like the Hornady 140SPBT, and Nosler's partition.
The 2506 however, is a different story. It is my opinion that the 25 shares the same problem as the 270: big, BIG holes are made at close range. Both calibres demand premium bullets to be at their best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, been a long day. Change 25-06 to 308, use Hornady or Nosler 165s and bang away. 150s work too, but I don't think you give up much speed by moving up 15 grains in weight.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Heck of a Buck Doc!

Where did you hit the Bruiser?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote