New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience w/ Harbor Freight tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at the big one looks like a good deal right now 18lb what do you guys think? http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-v...ose-96923.html Can I use any media in this?

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
No experience w/the HF tumbler, but had good results with a Lyman turbo tumbler which lasted 8 years or so under quite heavy use (I shot competition and reloaded at least 100 30-06 rounds/wk.) I had the small tumbler which would run at least 48 hours continuously/week.

FWIW, I see they now make a large tumbler which is considerably cheaper ($79.99 but unfortunately currently out of stock) than the HF model. Here is a good assortment of tumblers you might find useful in making your choice:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=tumbler

The HF tumbler may be great, but doesn't hurt to do a little comparative shopping.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any tool from Harbor Freight is a "one time use" throw away tool IMHO. My buddy just bought a cherry picker for his garage, and true to form we had to fix it before we used it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like anything else....you get what you pay for. You don't get a Cadillac at VW prices.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but had good results with a Lyman turbo tumbler which lasted 8 years or so under quite heavy use

10 years on my Lyman and it's still going strong.

I buy alot of tools from Harbor Freight, but only those I expect to lightly use on occasion.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Interseting since Lyman is rebadging the Harbor Freight Ultra Sonic cleaner.

When I buy at Harbor Freight I check everything before I go to the register. About the only thing you can't try is welders and compressors.

As far as the tumbler, a friend uses one in his garage to clean hardware.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one three years ago(the small model) and used it exclusively for cleaning brass. I had to rebuild it after three months or so (had to replace the all thread in the center and the bolts that hold it together- they had all stripped out). At around a year, the motor burned out. I took it back and swapped it out with the warranty plan and my second one has been going well for two years now.

When this one dies, I'll try something else.

"The heroes are dead but not all the dead are heroes."

Posts: 89 | Location: MT | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Bought two of the small tumblers to test them out. They' OK for small quantities but that's about it.THE LARGE $149.00 ONE IS A MYSTERY. But if you got the money and THE NEED have at it. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought the smaller one also and went through and tightened all the bolts before i used it.
it works quite well, and can be used wet if desired.
i am going on a second year with mine.
got about 5 out of the lyman i had before.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I have a 5-6 year old el-cheapo Frankford Arsenal tumbler. I've beat the crap out of this thing for years and it won't die!

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No , but everything they sell is Chinese junk ! I doubt their tumbler would be any different

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Virtually ALL of the vibratory tumblers on the market are Chinese and made to approximately the same quality standard. It is a flip of the coin whether the one you buy will last forever or be a 24-hour lemon.

I owned one of the old Midways, the ones which were recalled for fire hazzard. I used it for years (without doing anything about the recall -- after all, if it hasn't burned up yet it's not likely to.) Then I came by another, updated one that had barely been used at all in a trade for a bunch of reloading equipment. Thinking that I had likely gotten most of the "good" out of the older one, I traded it off, still running just fine. Less than a year later, under light use, the "updated" one cratered.

Luck of the draw. I'd just as soon trust the one with the cheapest price over the one with the oldest name.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I think I have you all beat.. I have a Thumler's Tumbler model B that I bought new in 1976 for $45 and it's still going strong! Had to replace the motor last year. (HVAC continuous duty motor)It seized up because I was lax in lubing it, but hey it lasted 35 years of heavy use, and I expect it will be running till I croak!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that Harbor Freight should be avoided. As someone else said, their product line makes Sears Craftsman tools look like high end stuff.

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote