New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady reloader
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you ever owned, now own, or had hands-on experience loading with Hornady's Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive? I would really appreciate some advice, recommendations, warnings, or whatever, from your hands-on experience on this reloader.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/lock_1105/
Thank you very much! [Smile]

Posts: 62 | Location: CA | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned one (pre lock n load) since the mid 1980's.
I have loaded 14 different calibers with an estimate of 15000 + rounds through it. I have never broken or worn out any parts.
On the early Projector press the priming arm is not the best and the shell ejector is touchy.
I DO NOT RELOAD FOR SPEED. 300 rounds per hour is fine, I do not see how many rounds per hour I can reload. I am sure the press if pushed will do more per hour.
In the early 1990's I read about the Glory of owning a blue reloading press. I currently own a Dillon. It is permantly set up for 10mm and it is a nice press. IHMO it is way more complicated than a press needs to be. Caliber changes will be more costly than with a Hornady.
My Hornady does not have the case feeder.
If I was starting over I would buy the Hornady again.

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady now has a case feeder that is sold with a new press or can be purchased seperately as an add on. I have a pre lock-n-load projector that I use for handgun calibers and 223 win. varmint loads. I had to modify the angle on the loaded case ejector arm. After I made that alteration it now runs smooth as glass, I love it. My hunting partner has a Dillon Square Deal and I can change calibers in half the time it takes him! For the larger rifle calibers I still use the time tested RCBS Rockchucker.
I highly recommend the Projector!
Just my 2 cents!
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote