Find
Notify
Tools

Seating Depth for Barnes TSX Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I just read on the Barnes website that they recommend seating their Triple Shocks 0.050 inch off the lands. Here's the link, see bottom of page... TSX Loading Guidelines

Do you think this separation is too much based upon your experience? With other bullets I seat closer to 0.010 inch off the lands.

I'll be loading for a 270 with the 130 grainers and a 300 Win Mag with the 180 grainers.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, Barnes knows exactly what they are talking about when they recommend seating the bullet between .03-.07 off the lands. I couldn't get the regular Barnes solids to shoot worth a darn in my rifle until I read the fine print and seated the bullet out. The groups shrank from about 2.25 inches to .75 inches. Have a tolerable day. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 thou from the lands often works well.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Slatts,
I agree with Tom, Paul from NZ could be right, depends on your barrel.
I tested the 130grainers TSX in my heavy LW-barrel and they performed just fine.
Go to https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/571104925
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good starting point.
But I might add some rifles I have loaded Barnes X bullets in just don't like them. My 300wby would not shoot the 165's worth a hoot but it just loves the 180's. BTW my 300 has a long throat and my bullets are about 0.100 off of the lands. I usually try to get them closer but not possible in this rifle.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was skeptical when I first started loading the TSX. My 375 likes them at .060" off the lands and my 7Mag likes them right at .050" off of the lands.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The homogeneous bullets will produce excess pressure in the obduration process if they are not seated to recommended depths. Follow the manufacturer's directions!!!!!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Okay, good advice here. How much did you fellas adjust your seating depth before you settled on a final setback distance from the lands?

In other words, if I work up some loads in .5 grain increments all 0.050-inch of the lands, then when I find the most accurate powder weight should I then adjust the seating depth from 0.030 to 0.070 and see what shoots best?

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've got the right idea, however mine have settle in right at the .050 number. The TSX's have worked quite well in everything i've shot them in, as a matter of fact I had one that shot pretty average that became a sub MOA with them. I just used one in my 7x57 for a big Missouri buck last week.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with boht my 300 win and the 30-06 my son shoots, I settled at .020 off the lands with the 168 gr TSX. The older x bullets needed a big jump, not so withthe TSX. Start at .050 and move closer .010 at a time.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I had been using 74gr of RL22 .060 off the lands in my 300 win with 180gr TSX. For grins, I tried a max load of H4350 .010 off the lands and vaporized the primer. (Where do they go???????????)

I pulled the bullets out of the other two shells, dumped the 4350 and put in ol' reliable.

Yes, they do know what they're talking about.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts, that's exactly how to go about it. Once you find the powder charge that is best just vary the seating depth back and forth to get your best performance. I have a LOT of rifles that actually shoot better with the bullet seated farther off the lands. Not just XXX bullets. I have found the XXX is pretty great as others--including Barnes--have said at 50 thou off the lands, several of my rigs are even at 80 or 90 back, and shoot best there. I find I need to go to or pretty near max powder charges with the XXX for best results by the way.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting TSX's at everything from 0.05 to .1" off the lands in different guns and chamberings. Never found them particular about seating depth, at all. Decent neck tension and near maximum pressure seems to be the magic combination. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote